Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: General consensus on the smokefire?  (Read 678 times)

techjunkie25

• Smokey Joe
General consensus on the smokefire?
« on: December 19, 2021, 06:13:49 PM »
Have an opportunity to pick up an ex6 2nd gen for a good price.

I’ve not done a lot of research on it as of late, I do remember hearing that there were problems with it when it was first released

Just wondering if it’s something I should be considering…
I have an older traeger 34” big Tex, so  just curious as I’m a weberholic lol

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
Re: General consensus on the smokefire?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 01:07:27 AM »
We absolutely love ours.  I have a Gen 1, that I upgraded all of the
warranty repair parts and firmware prior to every using it.
I have NEVER had a single problem.  Approx. 60-70 cooks.
The ease of use is bewildering, especially w/ the WIFI.
Having the ability to monitor and control temps away from
home is almost as good as the flavor of the foods you can
make with ease. 

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 03:51:04 AM »
I don’t own one but from what I’ve seen in YouTube videos, the Gen 2 appears to have addressed all the issues.  I’m not hearing anything recent that says its still got problems.  I know two people that have one and absolutely love them and never had issues. 

I do think they rushed the product launch and with social media the way it is, it’s still going to take a while before they recover from the “quality” black eye.  They almost made a similar mistake with the Summit’s wobbly base but fixed it in time. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 05:26:46 AM »
@bbqking01

King has done many nice looking (and tasting I'm sure) cooks and posted here with lots of positive results.  I think he'd be the best source of info for you.  Good luck!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
General consensus on the smokefire?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 05:47:20 AM »
I bought an EX6 on offer up for 600 less than a month after they came out. February 2020. It had an initial burn in already done, but other than that was brand spanking sparkling new. First cook was a pork but, with treager pellets. Was highly dissatisfied. Pork was gross. I dumped the “treager pellets that came with it and started having better luck. As for the problems…I’ve NEVER had a grease fire! As for issues. I e had the same fuse go out two times. Right by the off on switch. Ive replaced the glow plug twice. One of those was not needed but Weber sent me a new one so I put it in. I was at o e point having fake out/pellet dump…issues. Weber sent me the upgraded motor/auger assembly, and no more issues with flame out. I just recently replaced the controller.it would stay below 300. Weber has been way good at resolving issues…sending out parts as needed. Which wasn’t menu. As for the food…I still prefer charcoal/wood chunk food. That being said,I have made all kinds of food on the thing. It’s like a outdoor oven that give a Smokey flavor to the food. If mine died right now I’d be looking for another. With the temp range from200-600 you can low n slow or sear. If you turn on smoke boost, it varies between say 150-250 give or take. It is do versatile. Ive do e several brisket, beef cheeks, PSB, pies, pork butts, steak, beef roasts, jerky, chicken, Turkey. I’ve even used it, and my smoke tube, to smoke cheese. (Only the smoke tube was lit) All in all I LOVE my smoke fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:53:39 AM by bbqking01 »

techjunkie25

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 05:56:16 AM »
I bought an EX6 on offer up for 600 less than a month after they came out. February 2020. It had an initial burn in already done, but other than that was brand spanking sparkling new. First cook was a pork but, with treager pellets. Was highly dissatisfied. Pork was gross. I dumped the “treager pellets that came with it and started having better luck. As for the problems…I’ve NEVER had a grease fire! As for issues. I e had the same fuse go out two times. Right by the off on switch. Ive replaced the glow plug twice. One of those was not needed but Weber sent me a new one so I put it in. I was at o e point having fake out/pellet dump…issues. Weber sent me the upgraded motor/auger assembly, and no more issues with flame out. I just recently replaced the controller.it would stay below 300. Weber has been way good at resolving issues…sending out parts as needed. Which wasn’t menu. As for the food…I still prefer charcoal/wood chunk food. That being said,I have made all kinds of food on the thing. It’s like a outdoor oven that give a Smokey flavor to the food. If mine died right now I’d be looking for another. With the temp range from200-600 you can low n slow or sear. If you turn on smoke boost, it varies between say 150-250 give or take. It is do versatile. Ive do e several brisket, beef cheeks, PSB, pies, pork butts, steak, beef roasts, jerky, chicken, Turkey. I’ve even used it, and my smoke tube, to smoke cheese. (Only the smoke tube was lit) All in all I LOVE my smoke fire.

Have you had any issues with the stability on the legs?  They kind of remind me of my older traeger 34” that I had to reinforce because I put it in my garage when not in use, and over time they started to bend. 

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 05:59:46 AM »
No I haven’t, but that being said, I’ve only moved it once or twice, since I got it home. If you have it on a patio or flat surface should not have any issues. Some have bought aftermarket, larger casters for easier moving.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »
No issues with my EX4. Bought used and jamming, the previous owner had the feed ramp on wrong. 2 min fix and it has been trouble free ever since. Its so easy to put out good food with it. I clean after every use and dump my pellets in a sealed container to prevent moisture buildup in the pellets.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
There is only 2 of us and when company comes over that may rise to 4 to 8  so which is the better buy E4 or E6 , and is there a difference in fuel usage

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »
If it’s just two, EX4 would be plenty. I’ve heard it uses less fuel. I am asked to grill every once in awhile for church events so I prefer EX6. I have several kettles too.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
Thanks King, I have several kettles also and do some cooking for my church also. And I live just North of you in the Prescott area.
Now I just need find me a good deal on a EX4.gen 2
If it’s just two, EX4 would be plenty. I’ve heard it uses less fuel. I am asked to grill every once in awhile for church events so I prefer EX6. I have several kettles too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 04:07:16 PM »
No issues with my EX4. Bought used and jamming, the previous owner had the feed ramp on wrong. 2 min fix and it has been trouble free ever since. Its so easy to put out good food with it. I clean after every use and dump my pellets in a sealed container to prevent moisture buildup in the pellets.
I never dump pellets. Here in Phoenix it’s dry most of the year around. I have kind of dumped to replace parts if needed

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »
Have a gen 2 EX4 that has been heavily put through the paces and I love it. Easily handles a full brisket, multiple racks of ribs, multiple chickens etc etc so you should have no problem feeding company of 8.

I live just outside Vancouver Canada so its very wet here and I have had ZERO issues with WEBER pellets swelling or otherwise and thats after being left in the hopper for over a week, no cover, in rainy season (Maybe I'm just lucky?). Also no issues with Broil King, Lumberjack or Green Mountain pellets but as others have mentioned do not use the treager pellets. They are slightly larger diameter than other "standard" pellets and will cause auger squeal issues.

Edit: As fate would have it I opened up the hopper today and sure enough a few of the top pellets had swollen up a bit (I honestly forget what brand they were but can confirm they were not Weber - believe they were lumberjack) . I guess I was just cooking frequently enough to avoid the issue before? Either way just dumped the shoot and loaded some fresh pellets and now its preheating for the Christmas spiral ham! Happy Holidays All!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:55:37 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 03:05:33 PM »
I’ve had mine for about three months, most four. Got it when they had the $200 off sale.

It’s had some glitches- kept telling me low fuel with a full hopper, I’ve had the pellets bridge and not feed, and a couple others. While I’m not yet fully confident in the thing, I will say it made some amazing smoked Mac and cheese for thanksgiving and Christmas. Just phenomenal. The turkey and prime rib weren’t up to my charcoal standards but not bad; the prime was 5.9 lbs and only one slice left over after dinner which surprised me. Did a brisket point today and will try it here soon.

I imagine I’ll keep it. It’s a learning curve and have to keep telling myself that.