Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My First Vintage Kettle  (Read 663 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: My First Vintage Kettle
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 05:40:39 AM »
My first vintage was an A code weathered warrior on the right.  Bought on CL in October 2017 after I found this club and started to learn more about how to clean them up.  The previous owner was the grandson of the original owner. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 05:43:49 AM »
My first vintage was an A code weathered warrior on the right.  Bought on CL in October 2017 after I found this club and started to learn more about how to clean them up.  The previous owner was the grandson of the original owner. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice WW, I love how these fade to gray over the years.  Thanks for sharing!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 06:11:52 AM »
What is the definition of vintage for a kettle? For cars, it’s 20 years old. For airplanes, vintage is 30+ years old.

Not sure what defines vintage for kettles.  I figured when I saw this one that's 45 years old in this shape it had to be vintage if not antique.  There are some really nice ones that @harris92 has that would be considered antiques IMO.  I graduated high school in 1986, so I figure any kettle that's still around from before then are vintage to me.  I'm particularly interested in kettles from the 70s as this is the time of my childhood and it's cool to think that someone was grilling on my grill when I was just a kid riding my bike.  Come to think of it, I'd love to have my old bike(s) from that time.  Yep, I'm the nostalgic type.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:14:59 AM by bamakettles »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 07:29:08 AM »
What is the definition of vintage for a kettle? For cars, it’s 20 years old. For airplanes, vintage is 30+ years old.

Not sure what defines vintage for kettles.  I figured when I saw this one that's 45 years old in this shape it had to be vintage if not antique.  There are some really nice ones that @harris92 has that would be considered antiques IMO.  I graduated high school in 1986, so I figure any kettle that's still around from before then are vintage to me.  I'm particularly interested in kettles from the 70s as this is the time of my childhood and it's cool to think that someone was grilling on my grill when I was just a kid riding my bike.  Come to think of it, I'd love to have my old bike(s) from that time.  Yep, I'm the nostalgic type.

I'm with you. A fond spot is held for anything from the 70's. My daily driver is the '79 Cooker. I have a brand new 2015 Kettle, with all of the upgrades to make it a Master Touch replica, but never use it.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
My first (and only) vintage is a birth year redhead that @DrewZ procured for me.  Still stashed at my parents' place nearby till I can find a way to get it on the patio without wifey noticing lol.
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »
My first vintage kettle is my mid-sixties thumbscrew Texan. It has this very unique stain in the porcelain of the lid.
I aquired many other vintage kettles over the years, but I have passed them all on to other owners. This one is my keeper.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 05:26:45 AM »
My first vintage kettle is my mid-sixties thumbscrew Texan. It has this very unique stain in the porcelain of the lid.
I aquired many other vintage kettles over the years, but I have passed them all on to other owners. This one is my keeper.
That's a beauty... it looks to be in very good shape!  Thanks for sharing....

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »
Bama - here some pictures of the 18” wsm C code when I bought it and after cleanup in action. “The One The Only”!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
Those ribs look competition worthy!
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »
They took third place in a small competition pre-covid.

65Westy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »
Great choice of beer too!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »
Bama - here some pictures of the 18” wsm C code when I bought it and after cleanup in action. “The One The Only”!

Thanks for sharing your pics!  That's a keeper for sure and those ribs look amazing.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 10:44:11 AM »
Great choice of beer too!
Thanks, I really like that one in the Summer when it's hot out.