Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal / Kamado ~ A few questions  (Read 511 times)

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
Summit Charcoal / Kamado ~ A few questions
« on: June 01, 2021, 05:14:26 AM »
Looking to add a Summit Kamado or Summit Charcoal if I can find one second hand. 

I already have a well setup 22" Kettle and 18" WSM (and a Smokey Joe) and have a ton of accessories that I want to share with the Summit.

I haven't seen anyone using a Vortex with the Summit Charcoal...  is it redundant?  I know the Summit can get far hotter than my Kettle could, so using the Vortex might not be necessary.  Or is it not advisable for some reason?

I have a SNS Deluxe, grid and dripping griddle that absolutely love.  Also have the Easy Spin Grate.  I know the 22" grate won't work in the 24" Kamado, and the SNS and griddle won't be a perfect fit, but they all will work.  Although, I have heard of the SNS low-profile (can't find it on the SNS website) and it leads me to think the height of the Summit grill grates might be closer to the charcoal grates than on the kettle.  Can anyone confirm?

I don't see too much in the way of Summit Charcoal specific accessories.  Stainless grill grates maybe?  I see CI but not SS.  I live on the ocean and anything that isn't ceramic coated or stainless will succumb in short order.

I am trying to avoid surprises once I get the Summit...  If you have both, or migrated from the kettle to the Kamado, I would love to hear your experience!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:16:24 AM by MikekiM »

Red93Lightning

• Smokey Joe
Re: Summit Charcoal / Kamado ~ A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 05:38:44 AM »
I just got a new in box gen 1 from a local ace hardware this weekend. Clearance price was less than the price of the gen 2. To me was a no brained to get the first gen. With the charcoal grate in the upper searing position the coals are closer to the cooking grate than a regular kettle.

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
I have lead on a NIB Gen I.

I reached out to SNS and sadly my SNS Deluxe won’t fit and the Low Profile has been discontinued.

They recommend the version that fits the smaller kettles but if that is the solution a Bro-n-Sear made out of the stock charcoal baskets would be a more cost effective option

Surprised they discontinued it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
I use Marty's bigger better basket in my Summit. It works well with the Summit, 26er and 22. Super inexpensive too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 11:07:12 AM »
I use Marty's bigger better basket in my Summit. It works well with the Summit, 26er and 22. Super inexpensive too

Mobile Google comes up empty when I search for Marty’s Bigger Better Basket.  Got a link by chance?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 11:16:23 AM »
Searched this forum....not sure if this is the original.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=44093.msg437076#msg437076
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 11:19:33 AM by bamakettles »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
This is the other thread about it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 01:21:33 PM »
Ah..  thanks. 

I made one of those last year before getting the SnS. Worked perfect.  Just gave it away to the guy that bought my iGrill 2.

I referred to it as the Bro N Sear based on the YouTube vid. 

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
Summit Charcoal / Kamado ~ A few questions
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »
I just got a new in box gen 1 from a local ace hardware this weekend. Clearance price was less than the price of the gen 2. To me was a no brained to get the first gen. With the charcoal grate in the upper searing position the coals are closer to the cooking grate than a regular kettle.

Yesterday I was able to pick up the first generation  Summit Charcoal.  It is a floor model that was dead perfect with all accessories, all documents and even had the plastic wrap on the able handle and extras.

Paid $900

Got to do a burn-in yesterday afternoon and my first cooks today. 

The SNS Deluxe doesn’t fit well enough to make me comfortable. I bought an extra 7441 Charcoal grate for the 22 and that fits in a middle position between upper and lower Charcoal grate, but the SNS really isn’t stable. Best bet is to cut about s half inch off the top of the SNS and reservoir. It would still work with the 22. 

Made Vortex wings today using RO lump coal. Used the 7441 Charcoal grate because it put the Vortex a bit lower and allowed me to put the center of the GBS back in so I could sear a rib eye.  The WSCG hit 600F in no time and the wings were insanely good and so crispy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:53:48 PM by MikekiM »

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:32:04 PM »
I’m not a big buyer on the whole basket/grate kick that every body is on. I have no SNS and probably won’t unless I get a Ranch, don’t use vortex or any of that jazz. Different strokes I suppose. You’ll love the Summit

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 03:02:42 AM »
I do love it.  So easy to control temp, plenty of cooking real estate to work with, looks killer on my deck..  close enough to the kettle experience that the learning curve is short.

I've used the stock Weber baskets with success but the volume is limited.  With a few cooks under my belt on the Summit I don't see the need to change grates and once I cut down the SNS I'll have more than what I need for a long time.

The only item I am pondering right now is the CI griddle insert for the GBS.  I have a Lodge CI skillet that fits but it hangs down a bit low and when it is sitting above the Weber charcoal baskets it chokes air flow to the point of almost extinguishing the coals.  I really don't want to buy another 12" CI skillet when the one I have fits but the Weber offering is not as deep as the Lodge that I have and that is important.  Great marketing on the part of Weber...

Red93Lightning

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
To me the gbs is kind of a gimmick.  A skillet works just as good sitting on top of the grate as it would sittin in the hole in the center of the grate. I would just put the lodge on the grate and save your money for more charcoal and meat.

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 07:36:36 PM »
As it turns out the Lodge CI skillet I have is a perfect fit.  Would have a bit better if I had the dual handle model.

There are pros and cons to the GBS.  On pro is that the skillet Sits closer to the heat source when in the GBS. Another is that it easier to add fuel. And if You’re using a Vortex you can remove the center and not compromise the grate.

One con is that it is easier being able to move the skillet around the grate rather than have it immobile in the middle of the grate.

Made a NY Strip tonight. Put the Vortex on the WSC lower charcoal grate and was able to place the skillet right over the heat. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:54:47 AM by MikekiM »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 03:59:07 AM »
As it turns out the Lodge CI skillet I have is a perfect fit.  Would have a bit better if I had the dual handle model.

There are pros and cons to the GBS.  On pro is that the skillet Sits closer to the heat source when in the GBS. Another is that it easier to add fuel. And if You’re using a Vortex you can remove the center and not compromise the grate.

One con is that it is easier being able to move the skillet around the grate rather than have it immobile in the middle of the grate.

Made a NY Strip tonight. Put the Vortex on the WSC lower charcoal grate and was able to place the skillet right over the heat. 

Beautifully cooked med rare steak, with the error on the rare side !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill