Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: B&B Snake  (Read 630 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
B&B Snake
« on: May 30, 2021, 06:11:37 AM »
Started the fire at 10pm last night. My brisket hit the pull temp of 203 degrees at 6 this morning.
Only 2/3's of the snake was consumed during the entire burn.

The temp held steady 250-260, with the lid vent wide open, and only one vent on the kettle bottom open. This is the Happy Cooker, with three daisy wheel vents for air intake. This has better temperature control then my new Weber!

The B&B Charcoal burnt real slow and clean. I am a new fan!

This was the very first time in my decades of grilling and doing BBQ that the snake method has been used.

2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Re: B&B Snake
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:00 AM »
And here is the snake, after 11 hours. This B&B Charcoal is the best.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »
No shit - that snake lasted! Which type of B&B? Lovely pool/yard by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
No shit - that snake lasted! Which type of B&B? Lovely pool/yard by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Thanks for the kind words! We have been working clearing out dead shrubs from the Arctic Freeze last February.
That’s B&B Competition Oak Briquettes.

They are a little slower than others (Kingsford) to light, but burn clean and last a long time. I bet this easily would have lasted for 12, 13 or more hours. At a rock solid 255-265.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 05:19:44 AM »
I just switched to B&B Competition Oak myself, I always used Stubbs to smoke as it lasted much
longer than Kingsford. After Stubbs was no longer available I told myself I could get by with Kingsford, but
I was wrong. This got me on the hunt for the best charcoal for these long smokes and I came across B&B.
This stuff is amazing and have got over 24 hours out of a load without the ring in my 18.5 WSM. In the same
scenario the Kingsford ran out after 14. I did multiple test with no food on the smoker and B&B blew away the
Kingsford. I have now switched to B&B for all my cooking. It burns hotter, longer and cleaner than any other
charcoal I have used. It last so much longer that when I am done with a regular cook the briquettes are still
full size. I would suggest any forum members check out some of the B&B videos on Youtube and you can see
some direct comparisons. I went into it just looking for a smoker charcoal and came out a convert. The price
is higher per bag in comparison to the regular price from Kingsford, but it blows it away due to the fact it last
so much longer, and you can get so many more cooks out of it.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
You are absolutely correct. I used Kingsford for decades, but have made the switch. These have a crazy long burn time. This makes smoking on the Kettle so easy, and nearly a "hands off" process, once the Kettle comes up to temperature.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
Hard to find the B&B where I live but it's my absolute favorite briquette and in some ways I like it more than lump. 

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 04:46:25 PM »
Did you put a diffuser over the intake vents?

And here is the snake, after 11 hours. This B&B Charcoal is the best.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »
What you see in the bottom of the Kettle is an external (hubcap) ash pan. It does not impede airflow at all, and catches most of the ash and grease. It works very well, and I do this with both my Weber and my Cooker. Pictured above is the Cooker.

What is not in the picture is the pan of beans that sat under the brisket.

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 04:30:59 PM »
I ran a snake with B&B for a pork butt a couple of months ago with grate success. Temp held steady for 11 hours with enough charcoal left for another 2-3 hours. I love it but it's really hard to find in central KY. 

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 06:02:12 PM »
Weird, I started using B&B Lump a few months ago (love it, very consistent on coal size from bag to bag), and just ordered 4 bags of the briquettes and used for the first time last night. I loved the smell, and flavor. No more chemical smell and taste like I got from kingsford

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 02:57:37 AM »
This was my second time using B&B briquettes. Both times were successful. Very pleased! No more Kingsford for us.
Low ash, clean burning, and long lasting.

Available at Ace Hardware, also at a local Kroger.
Found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/B-CHARCOAL-OAK-17-6/dp/B07R22W7HF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2QD41C8SIU85H&dchild=1&keywords=b%26b+charcoal&qid=1622717782&sprefix=B%26B+%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-1

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 05:17:22 AM »
Last year I made the switch to B&B briquettes, and got very spoiled at our Academy Sports store that had the 17lb bag for 8.99.  I went through a lot of that stuff and got hooked.  Now it's nowhere to be found locally.  Funny my wife showed me the Amazon link this morning, but I just can't pay that price for it.  I'll contact my Ace Hardware manager soon to see if they will place a large order.

jeremiahmercier

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 04:22:59 AM »
Yeah that Amazon price is ridiculous. I got it for 13.99 a bag from local Ace. They do not keep in stock, but will order the briquettes when requested. Also just did my second cook with them (will do third tonight) yesterday at work to break in the new performer, loved it still!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 05:19:06 AM »
I've still got a bag and a half of orange bag B&B left and am holding on to it for my beach trip next month.  Been using Kingsford on the last few cooks and it's actually working pretty good for me.