Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why no smoke ring?  (Read 811 times)

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
Why no smoke ring?
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:15:26 AM »
Hi,

I cooked my second brisket on my 22" WSM this past Friday.  It was a 10 pound prime brisket from Costco.  It was seasoned with only coarse salt and black pepper. I used the charcoal briquettes in the picture, along with four good sized chunks of hickory.  I pulled it off at 165 degrees and wrapped it in tin foil (I did not wrap my first one, and it had a beautiful ring), adding beef broth and brown sugar to create a nice au jus. I pulled it off again at probe perfect, which was about 203 degrees.  The cook lasted about eight and a half hours, between 240 and 260 degrees.  I then wrapped it in a towel and let it rest in a cooler for almost four hours. While it turned out delicious with a beautiful bark, there was absolutely no smoke ring. I read that too much seasoning and/or wrapping it in tin foil might prevent a smoke ring, but I don't think I used too much seasoning. Can anyone comment on similar experiences, and what can I learn? 

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:27:59 AM by Babekyu »
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
Re: Why no smoke ring?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:10:54 AM »
was it good?   looks good.  was it real windy?  were the chunks smoking early in the cook?  it can also be due to the brisket itself??   add pecan or post oak chips next time ( a few chunks too ) and see if it helps. I usually get a more definitive smoke ring when I wrap in butcher paper instead of foil.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:55:01 AM »
I don’t know. I think I’ve read somewhere that you get a better smoke ring if the meat goes on the grill cold right out of the fridge but not sure without googling.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:08:02 PM »
I’ve read that smoke adheres better to cold meat.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »
If it’s good, who cares?

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:55:14 AM »
was it good?   looks good.  was it real windy?  were the chunks smoking early in the cook?  it can also be due to the brisket itself??   add pecan or post oak chips next time ( a few chunks too ) and see if it helps. I usually get a more definitive smoke ring when I wrap in butcher paper instead of foil.

Yes, it was delicious.  No, it wasn't very windy.  Yes, the wood chunks were placed on the inside of the minion method charcoal arrangement so the meat would get the smoke early.  I might try butcher paper next time.

Thank you.

I don’t know. I think I’ve read somewhere that you get a better smoke ring if the meat goes on the grill cold right out of the fridge but not sure without googling.

I’ve read that smoke adheres better to cold meat.

Regarding the above two comments, is it acceptable to trim the brisket the night before, then season in the morning?

If it’s good, who cares?

You're absolutely right!  It's just my curiosity getting the better of me I suppose.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
More than you ever wanted to know about smoke rings is here.  But there is a section about how to get better smoke rings on your meat.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
I’m not sure smoke ring size correlates with smoke flavor. 

I’ve heard it said the smoke is just another instrument in the bbq orchestra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »
Add a water pan - The damp warm air helps. What matters though is you enjoy the cook and the eat!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
@Babekyu I also have issues with smoke ring formation and it's driving me nuts. I'm having the same issue with different charcoals, woods, rubs, and cookers. Do you rub the meat the night before? I always let my rub sit overnight and I've wondering if that prohibits my smoke ring.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »

@Babekyu I also have issues with smoke ring formation and it's driving me nuts. I'm having the same issue with different charcoals, woods, rubs, and cookers. Do you rub the meat the night before? I always let my rub sit overnight and I've wondering if that prohibits my smoke ring.

Maybe your onto something. I’ve never not had a smoke ring but I always season and go straight to the grill. Not on purpose. I usually don’t plan far enough ahead to season the night before.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »

Maybe your onto something. I’ve never not had a smoke ring but I always season and go straight to the grill. Not on purpose. I usually don’t plan far enough ahead to season the night before.

I never have an issue with smoke ring.. It's been accidental every time.  I just assumed it happens.  Also, I am on the HoosierKettle cooking plan.  I don't plan much in advance.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JMH

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 07:23:16 AM »
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

Story from Amazingribs.com on the science behind smoke rings (or not) if you're into that sorta thing.  Copied from the article "...anybody who tells you that good barbecue needs a smoke ring is blowing smoke."
If it ate good, then you did good!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 08:47:55 AM »

Story from Amazingribs.com on the science behind smoke rings (or not) if you're into that sorta thing.  Copied from the article "...anybody who tells you that good barbecue needs a smoke ring is blowing smoke."
mega ditto

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:43 AM »

mega ditto

haha.  i posted the same link yesterday....i guess this should be ditto and mega double ditto?