Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me improve my chicken wings before second attempt  (Read 1157 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
Help me improve my chicken wings before second attempt
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:21:39 PM »
I had been really looking forward to trying wings on the kettle for the first time, but unfortunately they came out much less than stellar.  I had been looking around at other threads and tried to get a general consensus of what works for others in hopes that I would have good results. I definitely want to try them again sometime, but I need some guidance on how I can do better next time, or maybe what I did wrong this time.

***Disclaimer: I don't have a Vortex, and know it tends to be the preferred method for cooking wings***

Anyways, here is the method I used this time around:

Fill Weber Chimney full of briquettes and light
Once coals are all going, dump them into Weber baskets
Place Weber baskets side by side in center of grill
Preheat 10 minutes
Add a couple chunks of wood
Continue preheating for 5 more mins
Put wings on cooking grate in a ring around the outside
Put the lid on with vent at the 12 o'clock position
Cook 15 minutes, rotate lid to 3 o'clock position
Cook 15 mins, flip wings, return lid to 6 o'clock position
Cook 15 mins, rotate lid to 9 o'clock position
Cook 15 minutes
Remove wings, check internal temp
(Wings were mostly showing about 185 to 195 with a few being 200)
Tossed wings in sauce

Unfortunately the wings just seemed overcooked and dry.

Anybody see anything I did wrong or anything I can do to make them come out better next time?

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
Re: Help me improve my chicken wings before second attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
I brine all my poultry.  Makes a big difference.  And make sure your vents are wide open. Its worth making a SlownSear or Vortex on your own. I made my SnS for like 20bucks.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

getjeffrey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:49:01 PM »
Make sure you ask your butcher to order you a box of jumbo chicken wings. Regular size chicken wings aren't the best for grilling, or frying. IMHO. [emoji6]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »
My 2 cents.  Reduce your total cook time from 60 mins to about 45 mins +/-.  Get that IT down a little so the chicken is a little moister.  Also, you can try coating in cornstarch an hour or 2 before putting on the grill to help crisp the skin.

porterhouse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »
I did my wings for the first time using indirect from the bank side. Full chimney,full vents for 50 minutes. No turning or looking. Turned out perfect. Crispy skin and moist meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »
I just bank about 50-55 briquettes on one side of the 22. Gets me right at 350-375 on the indirect side. 18 minutes per side gets the wings to 175-180. I move them over to the direct side which is pretty mellow by this point and crisp the skins with the lid off. Super juicy inside, crisp outside.

The vortex looks cool but I'm not sure what gain I would get.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 06:33:36 PM »
I cut then wash the wings.  Pat dry.  Salt and whatever dry rub (Penzeys Northwoods Fire is my new favorite).  Lay them out on a baking sheet then put in the fridge for at least an hour.  Light a full chimney then dump in a pile in the middle, or fill two baskets pushed together, or a vortex, etc.   Toss the wings in flour in a big bowl, knock off all the extra, then arrange around the fire in a big circle.  Cook until starting to brown then flip.  Cook until golden brown and crispy.  Toss in whatever wing sauce then put back around the fire for another couple of minutes then dig in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
I had been really looking forward to trying wings on the kettle for the first time, but unfortunately they came out much less than stellar.  I had been looking around at other threads and tried to get a general consensus of what works for others in hopes that I would have good results. I definitely want to try them again sometime, but I need some guidance on how I can do better next time, or maybe what I did wrong this time.

***Disclaimer: I don't have a Vortex, and know it tends to be the preferred method for cooking wings***

Anyways, here is the method I used this time around:

Fill Weber Chimney full of briquettes and light
Once coals are all going, dump them into Weber baskets
Place Weber baskets side by side in center of grill
Preheat 10 minutes
Add a couple chunks of wood
Continue preheating for 5 more mins
Put wings on cooking grate in a ring around the outside
Put the lid on with vent at the 12 o'clock position
Cook 15 minutes, rotate lid to 3 o'clock position
Cook 15 mins, flip wings, return lid to 6 o'clock position
Cook 15 mins, rotate lid to 9 o'clock position
Cook 15 minutes
Remove wings, check internal temp
(Wings were mostly showing about 185 to 195 with a few being 200)
Tossed wings in sauce

Unfortunately the wings just seemed overcooked and dry.

Anybody see anything I did wrong or anything I can do to make them come out better next time?
45 minutes should be enough.  If going for a little crispier, then 50 minutes.  But start at 45 minutes.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;