Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unknown BBQ hinge kit  (Read 736 times)

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
Unknown BBQ hinge kit
« on: July 25, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
I just installed the hinge a couple days ago and I am wondering what the trick is to easily closing it?
I do imagine it will be easier to use after I add another handle to the front rather than the top. I just ordered a cherry wood wkc handle from grillhandle.com which I found on here.
Also I have my grill in a custom table and I wish I had mounted the hinge in a different position. I watched a video where the guy put it directly behind the top vent which seemed to make sense, but now I have to lean over my heat to get at the food. I think I would rather it be right in the middle so the vent is to the right and the coals to the left. Can I plug the lid holes with anything and drill new ones?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Unknown BBQ hinge kit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
I wouldn't plug or drill any more holes in the kettle.  If the orientation of the grill needs changed it is likely easier/better to change the position of the grill in the table.  Pictures might also help someone give you ideas.  Good luck.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
I will post photos tomorrow. The problem is that the hinge sits right behind the vent which is where I have always put the food.
I can access the grill from the end of the table once I move the free palettes I got for some projects that I haven't had time to do.
I also spend the most time hovering over the grill when searing which is fine because I can access that easy, so maybe after more time with it I will like where the hinge is.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
If you haven't posted pics before I recommend using the WKC app on your phone. Its a breeze this way.  Depending on  which kettle you are using or how your table is built it might not be too bad to fix.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:31:23 AM »
I have that hinge kit on my WSM which I predominantly use for hanging.  I cut off an old broom handle and attached an eye screw on the end to use as a tool when hanging ribs/chicken.  I also use it to pop the hinge out of the locking position so I don’t have to move around to the side every time I close the lid. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 06:33:13 AM »
I have that hinge on a kettle and my WSM.  On the kettle, my hinge is on the back with vent and thermometer at the front.  I wanted my SNS to be in the back and the indirect zone in the front so I’m not constantly reaching over the fire.  Works very well.  If you want to move the hinge on your lid you can always put SS nut and bolt in the old holes.  Might not look the best, but would work.  Also to close the lid I just grab the handle, lift straight up and close.  My handle is oriented front to back which makes it much easier.  On my WSM the handle is oriented side to side and requires two hands - one on each handle to lift and close.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 03:19:11 PM »
I will try it for a while the way it is. Maybe at some point I will switch it and put bolts in the gaps.
Here it is in the table I made from palletes. Just need a couple more long palletes to steal 1x’s from. As I said once I have time to work on some projects and clear out the load of palettes next to the table I can work from the side and not over the heat.