Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Glen Blue History  (Read 1368 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Glen Blue History
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 06:49:46 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:44:09 AM »
cool
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bait

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:56:29 AM »
It always seemed like an odd color for a grill; it’s really cool to know why now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:30:40 AM by bait »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
That 54.99 price makes me want a time machine pretty bad

idahome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »

I just tossed that in to an inflation calculator and it was $460ish in today’s money. WOW!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 11:52:10 AM »

I just tossed that in to an inflation calculator and it was $460ish in today’s money. WOW!

That’s why they called it the “Cadillac” of grills. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »

That’s why they called it the “Cadillac” of grills. 

Indeed! I want one of those 26’ers so bad, but I feel like I would never use it unfortunately.

I had a neighbor who had an old Glen Blue 22 and one day I got the guts to go ask him if he’d ever sell it and he gave me the weirdest look and said no. Then proceeded to lock it up thinking I was some goon. Never saw that grill again.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
Their article is not accurate. The first Glen blue was produced sometime in 1960. It came with steel legs, white wheels and an ash pan with white porcelain enamel coating . Here it is:

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »
Weber's porcelain enamel color selection through the years seemed to parallel that of the trendy appliance colors at the time. In the early 60s, similar light blues and/or turquoise were popular stove, range hood and sink colors. Much like avocado green and two tone brown would take over in the mid-late 60s....so did the kettle. I am still surprised that Weber didn't do a "harvest gold" in the 70s which is a much less vibrant color compared to the actual yellow they introduced in 1973.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Glen Blue History
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
Weber's porcelain enamel color selection through the years seemed to parallel that of the trendy appliance colors at the time. In the early 60s, similar light blues and/or turquoise were popular stove, range hood and sink colors. Much like avocado green and two tone brown would take over in the mid-late 60s....so did the kettle. I am still surprised that Weber didn't do a "harvest gold" in the 70s which is a much less vibrant color compared to the actual yellow they introduced in 1973.

Oh I how miss our avocado [emoji1649] green linoleum and harvest gold stove and fridge.  Childhood memories.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
Stephen, I'm wondering if that was something they just tried before it made it as a production run in 1962?

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »

That bright yellow was still really popular. Lamps, home accessories, and 73 VW’s were all that bright yellow.