Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ring of Fire by Kick Ash  (Read 2651 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Ring of Fire by Kick Ash
« on: July 12, 2020, 06:35:20 AM »
Anyone use one of these? I prefer the snake method for smoking. This looks like a good way to keep the coals off the side of the kettle. Also does indirect with a fence. Seems like a decent idea.

18"
https://www.kickashbasket.com/KAB-Ring-of-Fire-18-Combo-Pack_p_51.html

22"
https://www.kickashbasket.com/KAB-Ring-of-Fire-Divider_p_31.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:57:10 AM by Ashley Coalburn »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ring of Fire by Kick Ash
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:23:53 AM »
Looks like that might be a good fit in conjunction with the Kettle Pizza, keeping the hot "coal bank" off the porcelain.  I already have one porcelain pop on my LE from that.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
I went ahead and ordered. It says limited run. $65 w/shipping on their website, $90+ on Amazon. I can see myself using this far more than another accessory.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
What it's really design to do is make cleaning and prep for the next cook easy. Pick it up and shake the ash and coal pieces through without touching anything, but since it covers the same area as the coal grate you can use it for high heat, indirect, and a snake. it can just live in the grill all the time. 

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
This would work well on a pedestal happy cooker if you were able to bend the handles down or cut them off

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 04:51:43 AM »
Now this is an accessory that makes sense to me. I’m too cheap to buy one but I like the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 07:42:24 AM »
Agreed. I found it by accident when searching Amazon for a Weber cook grate. I despise the 'gourmet' turd they supply with the Performer. I just want the standard grate with the flip up sides, no removable center.

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't caught on. It never has to be removed or stored from the looks of it, protects the grill, helps ash and small chunk removal. What's not to like?
If you check out the website they tout it as made for lump users, but no reason it won't work for briqs.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 04:56:21 PM »
I like the divider. Hearkening back to the days when people used charcoal rails (or maybe people still use them??)...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »
I like the divider. Hearkening back to the days when people used charcoal rails (or maybe people still use them??)...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Yup. I still have a set of rails that I bought with my '86 Kettle. I was young, there was no internet. The only info I had came with the grill. I had to figure out how to use them and what they were for. Back then "indirect cooking" meant someone else was doing it!

The disadvantage with rails is the coals setting up against the side of the kettle. This solves that problem too, although baskets do the same thing.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »
Not exactly that one, but yes I've used the Weber baskets & a "Cajun Bandit" ring as guides for a snake & it even gives me a "leg" to the semi-circular snake so it lasts even longer.
Its a good, workable idea.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
Came today. Super fast, ordered it Sunday, received today. Got the basket and fence, a sticker, can cozy, a nice pair of rubberized gloves to keep your hands clean, and some propaganda.

I'll install it as soon as the grill cools down from dinner.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »
Pretty daggone good idea, if'n ya ask me.

Set the Ring of Fire in the kettle. It sets on the charcoal grate tabs.

Put your charcoal grate back in the grill. It sets on the Ring of Fire.

To clean, pick up by the handles and shake. The grate stays in place pretty well. These are left over from tonight's cook, I carefully transferred them from the baskets to see how well the ash comes off. Very acceptable results.

A+ for its intended use. One day soon I'll use it to set up a snake and see how it does.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 05:26:52 PM »
Mines on the way, pairing it with the aura grates system seems like it will work nicely with the 2 zone setup and happy to add some protectection to a daily driver kettle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
Cool.....

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 03:35:22 AM »