Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking on a weber kettle  (Read 812 times)

Kathleenmelissa

• Happy Cooker
    • Yunnan BBQ
Smoking on a weber kettle
« on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »
So I've never cooked on a charcoal grill. I was kicking around the idea of picking up the 22" weber kettle. Then I started watching different videos on it. While I wouldnt be buying this to smoke on i have seen some guys doing it. So I guess my question for some experienced guys would be would the taste of that kind of smoke be comparable to an offset? I've only ever smoked on MES and a pellet cabinet smoker. I haven't wanted to buy a cheap offset to find out if I like the process or not and then decide to buy a better quality offset if i do. So with this setup in your opinion would it be similar enough to be able to make a decision on a offset smoker in the future? Thanks for any advice!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:14:53 PM by Kathleenmelissa »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoking on a weber kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 03:39:58 AM »
Low and slow on a 22 is easy and the results are grate, several methods and they all work, I use the snake method for smoking. As far as flavor from the smoke on a Weber vs offset, not sure there is a difference, smoke is smoke
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 03:51:55 AM »
Kettles are grate all around cookers.  You can grill, roast and smoke.  When I was first starting to get into this, I chose the kettle because of its versatility.   Some would argue the kettle is a “good” smoker but not great.  I own a dedicated smoker and many kettles.  I’ve also used a pellet.  I cannot tell a significant difference in the smoke flavor from all of them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »
A kettle with a Slow 'N Sear is about as easy as it gets and provides great results.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 08:29:07 AM »
A kettle with a Slow 'N Sear is about as easy as it gets and provides great results.

What he said..........

Plus, with the right configuration (see pic), with the SNS you can come very close to the capacity/capabilities of an 18-inch WSM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 08:38:56 AM »
I've recently switched from an offset to 22" Weber Master Touch.
I first did a burn with nothing but charcoal to get rid of any factory residue.
Then I took a bunch of left overs, scrap ends & so on representative of the stuff I usually cook. I also took most of the spices I use & put them in there in a disposable foil pan.
Then I slow smoked it with a smoker attachment, the snake charcoal method & so on for 6 hours at 250~280 degrees.
https://www.cajunbandit.com//product/cajun-bandit-22-5-kettle-smoker-conversion-kit/
I really can't tell the difference!
The smoker addition was a big part of the change I knew I wanted to still be able to do"real" smoking.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=45705.0
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:42:40 AM by Stoneage »