Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying to understand differences: Smokey Joe Premium vs. Smokey Joe regular(?)  (Read 1205 times)

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Surprisingly difficult for me to find photos of the inside of either, or clarity as to the reason for the extra cost of one over the other. A search here yields a large number of hits but not yet what I hope to understand. It may be simple things and I think I'm the only one here who doesn't know the differences (grin)!
 Trying to decide if one Smokey Joe or the other would be a good choice for burgers, hot dogs or grilled chicken for just my beloved wife and me. My beautiful 22.5 inch kettle is a fantastic smoker I'm finding of course. That's all I've yet used it for.  But sometimes I just want to have a very small fire for three grilled burgers or so on a camp out or at the park.
I did find that one has some sort of vent at the bottom, and of course one has a tray to catch ashes. Where does the one without the pan underneath collect ashes please?
Thank you all as always.
Don

Kneab

• WKC Performer
The premium has a lid bale that locks over the lid handle for easier carrying and side vents. No ash falls out of the bottom.
The regular has no lid bale. It has a bottom vent and ash pan.
The premium is better for it's portability  the regular is probably a little bit better cooker because of the vent placement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
Now you've had your question answered.

Smokey Joe's have their fans (It's part of my cavalry), but if you're after a portable/small grill.  My money/advice is always pointing in the direction of the Weber Go Anywhere. Have you considered one of these?  The shape just lends itself better in every way imo.

I've grilled, direct/indirect, roasted, smoked, skewers rest nice and easy across the top, indirect heat deflector plates.

I just find the shape/size lends itself far better to actual cooking and portability.  I assume it's not as popular as it doesn't mimic the famed Weber kettle shape.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Say. Thank you both so very much. Yes, the shape of the Smokey Joe is attractive but the Go Anywhere sure looks more useful in some applications. I must study now.....
Don.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Say. Thank you both so very much. Yes, the shape of the Smokey Joe is attractive but the Go Anywhere sure looks more useful in some applications. I must study now.....
Don.
the CGA is a great travel grill, and can be utilized daily for numerous cooks
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Jumbo Joes are pretty cool too, just get one of each, Cga,JJ,Sj lol

Kneab

• WKC Performer
If you add the third option, the Charcoal go anywhere is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Thank you all again. After reading the responses and deciding how I'm planning to use the little fella I decided to choose the charcoal Go Anywhere. I watched a helpful video too wherein  the gentleman showed how for travel he was able to pack two zip-lock bags of charcoal, the Compact Weber chimney starter, a lighter,, spatula, fork, knife, small soap bottle and a couple other items like seasoning into the Go Anywhere nicely. I got on the phone and called three hardware stores and two home store centers here in my town but not a single one had the Go Anywhere charcoal OR the Compact Rapidfire starter chimney actually in-stock. Shipping times for ordering them was delivery next week or later. So I went ahead and ordered the grill and starter online. The grill will arrive Saturday (3 days from today). Hey. I tried to buy local,, but this isn't the first time I had to buy online because time was a factor.
 Using the Go Anywhere, my wife and I can have a few chicken breasts, burgers or grilled vegetables quick and easy, while retaining my 22.5 inch Kettle for large cooks and my favorite.....smoking. Our little camper has a perfect spot to store the Go Anywhere too, accesses from an outside door. I do love the shape of the Smokey Joe and it's resemblance to my own Kettle. Seems very well made also. But there are just so many pluses to the Go Anywhere for our needs I believe it will be the best fit for us.
 Thanks again all. Don
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:50:13 AM by Tallbald »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
You won't be disappointed in the CGA
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
Most definitely a greater choice. It's my favourite underdog.  Here's to many happy cooks [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tallbald

• Smokey Joe
Thanks. Went to Tractor Supply this evening for several stainless nuts, bolts, lock washers, fender washers and thumb screws. Making the "removable for cleaning" upgrade of the top vent on my 22.5 inch Kettle, and will do the same for the Go Anywhere charcoal this weekend after it arrives. After a couple long smokes, the Kettle vent was pretty stiff and I expect the same would happen on the Go Anywhere down the road.  Also will craft a nice pair of wood knobs for the top vents of the Go Anywhere . I suspect they get as hot as the aluminum tab on  my Kettle's vent does.
 Planning a Saturday pork shoulder smoke on the Kettle, with assembly of the Go Anywhere during the day too.
Thank you again all.
Don