Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My latest (and greatest) score... 1958? Custom Chromoveil  (Read 2348 times)

Hubert311

• Smokey Joe
My latest (and greatest) score... 1958? Custom Chromoveil
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
Picked up this gem in downtown Nashville a couple of weeks ago... She’s solid as a ROCK and will shine up extremely well. From what I can tell it’s 100% original minus the axle nuts. Check out that blank lid vent... I’ve heard several theories on them, please feel free to share any info on her! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: My latest (and greatest) score... 1958? Custom Chromoveil
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
The blank vents were common on some reproductions made in China and distributed by a company that Weber sued back in the late 80's or early 90's.  While interesting to look at, they are basically decorative pieces and should NOT be used to cook on because of the offgasing from the contaminated porcelain that was used in China at the time.  Becaue of the contaminated porcelain, they are basically worthless and you will likely have to pay a hazardous waste company to dispose of it properly.  Fortunately, I have an uncle with a company that handles toxic waste and for a limited time, I am offering to the WKC FREE proper disposal of such hazardous grills with your only cost being the cost to carefully pack it (it is important that the hazardous porcelain does not get chipped during shipment) and ship it to me.  PM me for an address.   ;)

Picked up this gem in downtown Nashville a couple of weeks ago... She’s solid as a ROCK and will shine up extremely well. From what I can tell it’s 100% original minus the axle nuts. Check out that blank lid vent... I’ve heard several theories on them, please feel free to share any info on her! 

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »
That is really a sweet find.  I can't imagine how you must have practically freaked out finding something like that.  I don't know anything about the blank vent, as my previous post attests.  But, I'm guessing some others might.
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
So you were the one that got that. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »
Amazing find. Did you pick up from original owner ?

ISO Red Outrider.

Hubert311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »
Sort of, the lady that had it said it was her brothers. She didn’t go into great detail but said it had been garage kept since new and hadn’t seen a fire in many years.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »
That is really cool.  Saw your post on FB.... truly amazing!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
Amazing score!  Congrats!  Looks like the black is fading a little underneath the chromoveil, super cool looking, TFS.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
Was this the $20 find? I really thought that was an April Fools joke. Unreal. Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 01:50:12 PM »
COOL!  Hope you got a great deal & she didn't raise prices after receiving higher offers sort of thang.

Sort of, the lady that had it said it was her brothers. She didn’t go into great detail but said it had been garage kept since new and hadn’t seen a fire in many years.

regards,
Hal

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »
Cracker of a find. Such awesome kettle

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Wow! congrats!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 05:27:18 PM »
Oh my...
Congratulations!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 05:45:27 PM »

I really thought that was an April Fools joke. Unreal. Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny, I thought the exact same thing. $20? No way! Haha! April Fools.

Hubert311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »
Yep. The $20 find!  Here’s the story... I was the first to message, told seller I’d take it but was 2 hours away, couldn’t pick up till morning. I as well thought it was April Fools but what the hell....  She messaged me back and said it was mine, curbside pick up only. No worries there. She marked post ‘pending’. Asked me how confident I was on pickup, told her 110%.... Still being April 1st, I was texting my pals thinking they were pulling my leg 🤣. Suddenly she marked ‘sold’.  I knew it was gone at that point.... I messaged her and asked if we were still on for pickup.  She said that she marked sold because her phone was blowing up with offers and people begging to ship, and sent me her cell # for contact. I headed to Nashville the next morning and texted her when I was close to downtown. Got a response saying it was now in the driveway, just leave the money under the doormat.  It’s amazing sellers like this still exist, she said it was mine because I was the first in line and wanted it to go to a respected home. I assured her it would be preserved here....