Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Scores  (Read 3135 times)

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
Scores
« on: June 15, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
I like scores like anyone else.  But I really love scores when I find em at garage sales, craigslist locally or similar.   I love the actual hunt in the scores and the work that is put in to find the rare gems. 

I feel they lose their luster if one pays top dollar and has all their scores shipped to you.   :(  What you say? 

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Scores
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
Good to hear from you Smooth!

Well living in California or Chicago can spoil us on our finds. I know there are states where people have never even seen a brown kettle much less a yellow or lime. I think if I lived in an area like that and loved vintage webers I would be willing to pay a fair price. I have had some great finds at local sales, but my best ever was my red sj from ebay. It was pricey at the time, but I have never seen another in that condition and wasn't going to let it get away. Now that so many new collectors are catching on I think you just need to get them any way you can.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  I don't have an issue with it.  Ebay might be the only way a lot of people are able to hunt.  I'm fortunate there's a ton of turnover (people) in this area where multiple listings pop up daily.  If garage sales, estate sales, and CL is pretty dead in a location, what's a guy to do?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »

Not to belabor the point.....but I'll keep going back to this one for a certain "standard"
in the "scores" dept. ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/18-5-lime-or-avacado-valpo-ind/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
I hear ya man!!  You make a great point about some collectors not fortunate enough to be in Chicago or California for the super scores.  However I still feel that if you have to pay ultra full price it's a great find, but not a "super score".  A score is finding a galley que at a garage sale for 5 bucks! lol 

I've been lurking here and there when I can!  Fishing is starting to kick up.   Have had some sardine and squid catches lately.   

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
I think I should have started this thread with, "What defines a score?" 

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
I'll be nice.   8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:03:38 PM by SmoothSmoke »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
Can't say that I have time for such drama. My definition of a "score" is something special to you acquired at a price you were willing to pay.

There's enough variability in that to satisfy everyone.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »
A score would have been that Simpsons Smokey Joe that is listed in the Columbus CL for free curbside pick up. :( Long gone, I am sure..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
To me, a score is anything you get that you've wanted for a long time. Whatever the price. Superscore of course is when its dirt cheap! (in my book)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 06:25:24 AM »

I'm attempting to gather as much as possible for as little as possible......

Scores:
2 beat redheads, 2 corn 'n' tater racks & a skewer set  $40 total

Blue Mastertouch   $35

Near perfect Brownie ( now cooked on once since 1990)   $80

Brown Mastertouch, kinda beat   $30

Good, not great brownie  $35

Avacado Sequoia  $70

Weber woks....

Old ~ free $36 to sandblast

Newer, in box ~ $20

A few other cheapies & the rest were free........

I'm still under $450.....didn't really start spending 'till I showed up here.....thanks folks.....not just a hobby, it's an adventure !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »

I'm attempting to gather as much as possible for as little as possible......

Scores:
2 beat redheads, 2 corn 'n' tater racks & a skewer set  $40 total

Blue Mastertouch   $35

Near perfect Brownie ( now cooked on once since 1990)   $80

Brown Mastertouch, kinda beat   $30

Good, not great brownie  $35

Avacado Sequoia  $70

Weber woks....

Old ~ free $36 to sandblast

Newer, in box ~ $20

A few other cheapies & the rest were free........

I'm still under $450.....didn't really start spending 'till I showed up here.....thanks folks.....not just a hobby, it's an adventure !!!!

You forgot that HC you picked up a couple yrs ago ....  ;D >:( ;) ;)
Sorry, sorry .... I believe I have overstepped the boundaries on the WKC, eh?  :o :o :P
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
A true fanatic doesn't keep a ledger of how much he's spent. HE JUST MANS UP AND PUTS THE SCORES INTO THE TRUCK* BEFORE HEADING OFF TO THE NEXT PICKUP.

*Or minivan, in my case.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch