Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear xl  (Read 1273 times)

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
Slow n Sear xl
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:10:24 PM »
I've been lusting after a 26" Weber Kettle and my desire is to pair with a Slow n Sear XL. It seems the XL has been discontinued, does anyone have an explanation for this?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:25:27 PM by Caver42 »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow n dear xl
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
I can't say I know from speaking to them directly, but I imagine it is because demand is strong enough for them to put their focus on the SnS 2.0 for the time being.  I imagine the higher material costs aren't helping either as people only want to pay so much for a basket.  They discontinued the SnS Ranch version probably months before I bought a Ranch so I know how you feel. 

Hopefully some day they will come back around to the XL or Ranch.  In the meantime you could probably mod your own basket with some stainless steel and bolts as long as you are a little handy and have tools available. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
Re: Slow n Sear xl
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »
Thank you, handy but not with sheet metal. I tend to get cut up.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »
I was told by ABC they felt the SnS 2.0 with water trough removed provided a similar Sear zone thus the overlap in product lines and why the XL was discontinued. Probably weak sales too. I am grateful they killed it off as it saved me a lot of money and my solution seems to work just fine.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=43205.0

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:19 PM »
Mine went right in the bin a while back. First and only time using the water trough for ribs it you it was dripping water into the ash catcher a drip per second, shoddy welding.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »
   They could always do a limited run of 10, 20, or 30 I've got one haven't used it tho but I've used the 22" and 18" versions and love them. Was hoping they would put out a Sns XL version for the old 26" grills. Oh well keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 06:10:51 AM »
I wouldn’t worry about it. A 26 works well as is.  An sns is a glorified charcoal holder. Nothing wrong with that but certainly can be worked around for the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »
I was told by ABC they felt the SnS 2.0 with water trough removed provided a similar Sear zone

They told me the same thing.  The issue I have with that is that they sold the idea that the XL was sized to the size and contour of the 26er.  That was its chief selling point.  Now, they are basically saying, never mind, it doesn't matter, go with the 2.0 which is sized for the 22, to which I say, no thank you.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »
Yeah that's why I made my own. Honestly I don't smoke much on my Webers so my setup does the same thing as the SnS
I was told by ABC they felt the SnS 2.0 with water trough removed provided a similar Sear zone

They told me the same thing.  The issue I have with that is that they sold the idea that the XL was sized to the size and contour of the 26er.  That was its chief selling point.  Now, they are basically saying, never mind, it doesn't matter, go with the 2.0 which is sized for the 22, to which I say, no thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 03:08:25 PM »
Mine went right in the bin a while back. First and only time using the water trough for ribs it you it was dripping water into the ash catcher a drip per second, shoddy welding.
Well now that I got that out of my system.. .

The next morning I got it back out if the trash. The SNS is a nice piece, maybe I should have contacted them about the water leaking from the trough but oh well I've only used that feature once.

But I can say with the SNS and the Drip N Griddle in my kettle, the charcoal grate all the way down to the ash sweeps is still super clean.

Would I buy it again? Yes, BUT I'd fill the water trough up and make sure it holds water before using it.

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
Pancho2017, in spite of my frustration with SnS they seem to be a very reliable company and suspect if contacted they would somehow fix the leaking water trough.

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
Pancho2017, in spite of my frustration with SnS they seem to be a very reliable company and suspect if contacted they would somehow fix the leaking water trough.
Yes I should probably contacted them about the leaky water trough but I've only used that once when I did ribs. The SNS is no joke it's well built and has never left my kettle when I do a cook. The Drip N Griddle is the same way I would definitely buy both again.

But I'd prop the water trough on a piece of cardboard then fill it with water, let it set a few hours or maybe all night and just make sure it doesn't leak before I used it.