Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Been Doing Some Fabricating (Pic Heavy)  (Read 10317 times)

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
Re: Been Doing Some Fabricating (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
Now this is what I like about this forum. Someone comes out with a kick-$%# idea and posts it on here, well-documented with copious pictures. Now if I don't slice off an important appendage when I make my own baskets....
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
Now this is what I like about this forum. Someone comes out with a kick-$%# idea and posts it on here, well-documented with copious pictures. Now if I don't slice off an important appendage when I make my own baskets....

Thanks for the compliment! I cannot stress this enough .... You gotta wear gloves with EM, because it will cut / slice you if you're not careful.  ??? :-[
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

It's like I was tellin' Golly in this thread.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/rare-weber-for-wkc-meet-showoff/30/

Fark me
I'm excited
Sounds like some real weber p0rn
I've got a chubby
Take care not to singe yer nubbin on the side of the kettle.............. 8)

....mind your nubbin......    8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
Good lord, I just had a horrifying vision of an old fat guy grilling with nothing on but an apron and a smile. However, I can assure you, even though I'm fat and old, I only grill outside fully clothed, especially with all the bleeding mosquitoes we have.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
Excellent work, this gets a Bump...

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
First of all great work - I now know what I will be doing all weekend. I'm sure at some point the Boss will make me attend some 2yr old's birthday party,stating that we are required to go because we know their friend's babysitter's boyfriend :o - but other than that this will be a top priority.

Never call a post "Pic Heavy" when the pictures can placed in two categories simultaneously - being both 'grill p0rn' and featured in 'Bob Vila's - How to Center'. I will be using this as a guide when I assemble my baskets for my 26. I have wanted to do all of this for awhile. Much like you I was all over the internet looking at similar projects but I had so many unanswered questions that kept me from doing it - but not any more - seriously thank you for taking the time to post.   
Keep it simple stupid

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Having fun playing with fire again I see, although im 2 years late on comments.

In the 2nd & 3rd pic of the fire grate with the ring. Are you using that one to burn lump similar to how I did it in your first link (rimfire)? Reason I ask is because I like to use the exp. on the kettle side to provide a bit more air which I think allows the lump to burn more completely without much if any small pieces left over after the burn passes by. Its not necessary just the impression I gave myself after multiple test fires, before and after the fattys.

The baskets...I hate the schitty little tin baskets Weber passes off as a constellation prize for buying their grill, the older wire ones work better but alas two fires in one hole intrinsically creates instability, arguably. You have the right idea making them with exp. and making them deeper but I think they'll work better with a different shape. In my test fires with the baskets I'v made I got the best results (duration, complete burn, and potential) with a bean shaped pair. In my mind two baskets are an obsolete lo-&-slo method after the rimfire or snake method.
If the purpose for the baskets are to focus heat for high heat grilling or for cooking small a single small round basket, without a partition, will work better than the hokus pokus aluminized tin baskets. As much R&D as weber does you'd think they would have figured that out....
Also Im not saying two baskets WILL NOT work what I am saying is theres a better/no hassle way.
Maybe they work fine with briquettes, I wouldn't know, I dont use briquettes. Mine were disassembled and used on another experiment years ago.

The screen on the rapidfire is served well by adding the exp. metal. That was a damn fine idea! Im sure you've picked up on the tip to invert it? Itll take less fuel to light it and hold more fuel if you need it too. Iv thought about using some SS window type screen, I scored from BBQMAN for my dehydrator, to cover the bottom so it dont cough so many sparks into the air when you dump it. A California spark arrestor so to speak.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 04:14:25 AM »
Wow, this thread is old …. @Hell Fire Grill :

In the 2nd & 3rd pic of the fire grate with the ring. Are you using that one to burn lump similar to how I did it in your first link (rimfire)?:

My main reason for it was to try to create as much space in the center to allow for a larger cut of meat.
I prefer to use briquets with a snake / fuse for a more consistent burn.  I have used the ring with great success. Here are a couple threads:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/fuse-snake-lasted-11-plus-hours/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/brisket-made-easy-with-a-weber-kettle/

The baskets...I hate the schitty little tin baskets Weber passes off as a constellation prize for buying their grill:

Ya, good point.  I have one that I got from a rescue.  Not enough air flow, I believe.
I hope to fabricate a basket using EM modelled after these, but a little taller.
I do like the fact that they will fit the 18" kettle, as well.

I have also fabricated a round basket that is the same diameter as a charcoal grate for a 18" kettle.  Seen HERE.

In my mind two baskets are an obsolete lo-&-slo method after the rimfire or snake method.:

I like using the two baskets opposite each other when doing a turkey, or something along those lines with a drip pan in the middle.
I will also center the baskets for grilling steak with baked potatoes on the perimeter (indirect).  One basket is all I need for ribs.

The screen on the rapidfire is served well by adding the exp. metal. That was a damn fine idea! Im sure you've picked up on the tip to invert it?:

Thank you!  And, yeah I do that all the time.  Works great.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.