Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reheating?  (Read 972 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Reheating?
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
For my sons 1st birthday next month im gonna do 2 pork butts, but the party is at noon. So im planning on doing them the day before.
Question is, how do you guys go about cooking, storing and reheating the next day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Reheating?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Vacuum seal pulled pork in 1 lb bags with juice, flatten and freeze if you can cook them ahead of time... but if yer gonna cook the day before the gig, flatten then just refrigerate. Drop the bags in a pot of simmering water for 10-15 minutes, remove from bag, and serve. Been doing it this way for years... :-)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:35:33 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »
Do your cook, pull when hot/to warm, put in large aluminum pan and cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate, warm back up in oven or on the grill if so desired. I have done it this way numerous times. Be sure and save as much juice from the cook to moisten the pork when warming up. Did your son request pork ? LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »
Yep what they said.

I’ll add...

Don’t shred it. Leave it in large chunks as possible (the individual muscles). Get off as much connective fat when “chunking” it so that way when you shred it...it’s all meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
Yep what they said.

I’ll add...

Don’t shred it. Leave it in large chunks as possible (the individual muscles). Get off as much connective fat when “chunking” it so that way when you shred it...it’s all meat.

Good tip !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »
Yep what they said.

I’ll add...

Good tip !!

Thanks. I've found its easier to get some of that fat off when it's warm (before you put it away) rather than on the other end.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »
Thanks guys. When my wife said noon i instantly thought i was starting to cook at 1 am lol

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
Also i was debating pulled pork or my first brisket. Just think pork would be easier to feed a group

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:03 PM »
I love these threads. I always learn something new each time. I do as hawgheaven does when I freeze and it works perfect. Heck, you could make it months in advance lol. Seriously you could though.

I will give JEBIV’s method a try next time I do it a day in advance. That would be way easier if just refrigerating.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »

Also i was debating pulled pork or my first brisket. Just think pork would be easier to feed a group

I vote pulled pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
[/URL]

Stick with the pulled pork. Can't go wrong with pulled pork in a group situation. PP is very forgiving and does not hold a grudge if you take a wrong turn somewhere. You DON"T want to do your first ever brisket for a group gathering... they are a different beast!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »
and if you aren't a fan of plastic, silicon bags are becoming all the rage.
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 05:59:09 PM »
Pulled pork is even good when it’s bad soooo... lol

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
Start it the night before, foil and cooler it when it’s done. It will still be hot at noon.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 03:13:28 PM »
Start it the night before, foil and cooler it when it’s done. It will still be hot at noon.

Have you forgot what it's like to have a 1 year old and a wife? LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk