Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: wire bristles hazard?  (Read 3147 times)

meopilite

• Happy Cooker
wire bristles hazard?
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:41:39 PM »
I read an article about the many incidents where people have swallowed the wire bristles from cleaning grill grates with a wire brush.  I suppose the bristles came loose and stuck to the grill grate and then stuck to food they were cooking.

What precautions can we take for this?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: wire bristles hazard?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:51:19 PM »
Wood grill scraper is what I use...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »
I read an article about the many incidents where people have swallowed the wire bristles from cleaning grill grates with a wire brush.  I suppose the bristles came loose and stuck to the grill grate and then stuck to food they were cooking.

What precautions can we take for this?
Well, that's really insane...

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »
I replace mine all the time.  Probably 3-4x per year but I grill a lot.  I only use Weber brand grill brushes.  They have a lot of skin in the game to make a crappy brush.

Never use those cheap plastic ones with the wires jammed in a hole.  That’s probably where most of the issues come about. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
well...looking up videos about wood scrapers, I bumped across this one, where he speaks of that loos wire bristle issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oflBSJe6w1Y

now that said, I've been grilling all my life and can't say I've ever had that as an issue.

I'm curious how clean the wood scraper does...it will be smooth, even if grooved, and not really 'scrape'. then there is the issue of what wood to use. Amazon shows cedar and oak samples.

I can see these working well with cast iron grills...but no to much porcelain/stainless steel.
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »
I worry about it all the time too
I’ll occasionally use the wire brushes that are twisted, but never the ones where the wires are just in the holes
That being said, I think I’ve only used balled up foil for years now. Does a great job getting the edges and working into and around the grates

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
I don't use them anymore after I seen the special about the chap who got a bristle in his intestine nearly killed him.
I use the Weber grill brush scrubber since obviously its Weber and we all rave on the Weber products and because Walmart had them on clearance last winter so I bought all they had.
Seems to work really well it gets caked with grease so I do the charcoal grate too that way I'm keeping that covered so it doesn't rust and hasn't yet.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
Currently using Weber wire brush with no issues. After brushing, I go over with either balled up paper towel sheets soaked in some oil or half onion to clean rest of the gunk of the grate before cooking. Just don't use those cheap dollar store wire brushes. I have seen one come apart.

Next brush to be used.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
I wipe down the grates with a paper towel or rag coated with oil after cleaning with a brush may help as it makes me feel better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »
Metal spatula for me.

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 04:02:38 AM »
Thanks guys. Food for thought :(

You could always use my system which is just to burn off whatever is on there and never clean the grill ;)
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 04:07:34 AM »
A safe option is just throw away the grate after every cook and just go buy a new one😏

dogman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 04:12:38 AM »
I don't know man, my grate is too heavy to drag to the garbage can :P
Beer! It's what's for dinner...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
wire bristles hazard?
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 04:38:04 AM »
Aside from the bristle issue, A grill brush of any kind is like wiping with used toilet paper imo.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
My favorite grill brush is actually a stainless steel paint scraper. This one is about 7 years old. Some bristle loss but they are big ass bristles.  I've also used welding scale brushes but my fav is the paint scraper.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador