Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nilgai sausages  (Read 763 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Nilgai sausages
« on: May 03, 2019, 04:24:48 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted anything so here is last night's cook...
A friend at work gave me a pack of sausage from the Nilgai that he shot in South Texas...

I finally got them on the Weber...
Indirect with some olive wood for smoke...

A quick sear and back to the indirect side to finish...Pan of spuds on the hot side...

Bout time to eat...

Plated with some black beans...

A simple cook but thanks for looking...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Nilgai sausages
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 04:27:42 AM »
Looks amazing, I had to google Nilgai LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »
Looks amazing, I had to google Nilgai LOL

Yeah so did I...Who knew...
Some crazy looking critters but very tasty on the plate...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Nilgai sausages
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 05:30:14 AM »
Now that looks incredible!  Jalapeño cheese is always a winner [emoji106]. Spuds look expertly cooked. I’ve never heard of that animal either. Do they mix it with pork fat like they usually do for venison sausage?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 06:03:20 AM »
Now that looks incredible!  Jalapeño cheese is always a winner [emoji106]. Spuds look expertly cooked. I’ve never heard of that animal either. Do they mix it with pork fat like they usually do for venison sausage?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yes but not enough in my opinion. Sausage was a little dense and would have been better with more fat...Still it was tasty and I'm glad to got to try it...

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
I don't know what Nilgai sausages are, but I damn well would eat them, they look delicious.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »
I don't know what Nilgai sausages are, but I damn well would eat them, they look delicious.

Nilgai is a type of Antelope from India/Africa...Brought to Texas to be ranch raised but have since populated parts of southern USA...Meat is lean, tender, and mild flavor (so I hear)...Sausage was excellent but a tad on the lean side...

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 05:53:01 PM »
I actually googled "Nilgai" after I posted.  I'd still eat them.  Since you say they were a bit on the lean side, I wonder if they would work better as a dried, cured sausage rather than fresh cooked.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »
 ;)
I actually googled "Nilgai" after I posted.  I'd still eat them.  Since you say they were a bit on the lean side, I wonder if they would work better as a dried, cured sausage rather than fresh cooked.

The guy that gave them to me also had some snack sticks...Which I heard were awesome...