Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: EO Greenie and a story  (Read 584 times)

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
EO Greenie and a story
« on: April 13, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
Green kettle pops up on marketplace for $75 its a neglected OTS but not bad just not worth $75. I wait  a week and it drops to $45 but I wait another week. Then I mesg and ask if they would take $20 as it was 45min away and not on my hunting list. A couple days later the lady mesgs back and says she doesn't know and to call this number to ask the clients. I didn't comprehend what was meant (who has clients but then can't help at all) and I ignored it for another week. Finally I am doing some agent work and realize I am halfway to the greenie so I finally call.

A lady answers and I explain I was calling on the grill and am near but am offering $20 cash... She says this is just how it works Huh? You always ask for less, right? I mention that I collect them and will probably get some new parts but am offering cash in hand today. She says she has to ask her husband and will call me back. I hardly have time to think shit that was weird when she calls back and says "you can have it for 20" gives me the address and hangs up.

I make it to the place and its a really nice neighborhood. I knock on the door and no answer, the grill is in front of the garage so I knock on the garage and still nothing. I put the $20 under the front mat and load up the grill and they have a cover and charcoal over there too. I assume they are tossing it all in but want to be sure so I call back. She says they are out back having a drink and didn't hear but she will be right out.
I get to the door just as it opens and I grab the $20 and hand it to her, she immediately asks if I sell grills. I explain I do fix and sell gas grills from time to time but never end up selling the charcoals when they come home. She says okay let me get my husband. They then explain that he has Parkinsons and they are going to live in a nursery community and they only allow gas grills. She mentions I plan to fix up his grill, he says how it was her brothers grill originally and that they had alot of great food off that grill for their whole family. She starts to choke up and I start to choke up and the husband asks what you do to clean up a grill. I mention the sweeps, grates, triangle and buffing the porcelain.

She then asks why I collect them and do all that, I tell her it's fun for me to hunt and trade them and it's also nice to explain to my kids how quality is worth paying for and worth taking care of. I told her how my kids help me clean and fix gas grills giving people quality weber's for 150 200 and makes us a bit of money to buy the kettles and also it's a chance to push Americana on the next generation. Then she is misty and so is he and then so am I. We shook and said bye and now I have a green I didn't really want but will now cherish and keep for the not for trade collection.

Just to make this even longer I was testing out some fake metal flake paint for my wife's car and used some on the greenies white walls and triangle. It's the metalcast stuff you can put on chrome surfaces or you can paint an metal coat primer to get a similar effect. The triangle is bare metal with the paint you can see every imperfections. It looks neat for the grill but I will definitely be using the base cost on her accents on her car. I used the base coat on the white walls. (I also added the high capacity ash catcher with a rigged thumbscrew setup as it broke at 1st touch)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: EO Greenie and a story
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »
Great story!  You’ll have great memories every time you fire that beauty up. Congrats Red 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 05:17:43 AM »
Nice story & nice grill.

Since nobody asked yet, I'm going to.  Are you going to fix their gas grill?  (just yanking your chain)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:19:29 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 05:21:17 AM »
It wasn't a Weber. I offered to give them a CGA or a old silver B with new burners. They declined. They were pretty well off it seemed and just wanted someone to care about the green one.

I think I might print off some pics and send them to remind them of the offer. Gotta do it fast though before they move.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:47:52 AM »
I was hoping to be able to tease you about what a great deal THEY got.   :)
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »

Nice save and background story.  I have had several similar instances of making connections with folks selling or giving away Webers.  Here is one example that I documented in 2016. The woman listed it for free on CL. She had owned it for 20-25 years and had hoped to pass it on to her 30 year old son. She was really disappointed her son had no interest in it. It made her happy to see it refurbished and being used by someone who appreciated it.  It is still in my possession and is one my cookers.  Are you going to send your seller photos of the kettle cleaned up?  She and her husband would probably appreciate it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/pat-pending-mt/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:52:42 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:58:29 AM »

She kinda gave me a look like YOU are going to give Me something. Not mean but I was the only offering 40% of current asking. My wife hates it but I am a sucker for a good story and it does effect the price sometimes.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »
For what it is worth, I probably would have wound up fixing their gasser in that situation.  Later, I would have laughed at myself for how my "steal" had somehow turned into theirs.

She kinda gave me a look like YOU are going to give Me something. Not mean but I was the only offering 40% of current asking. My wife hates it but I am a sucker for a good story and it does effect the price sometimes.
regards,
Hal