Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Weber Performer options  (Read 2784 times)

Bozack

• Happy Cooker
Stainless Steel Weber Performer options
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
Hey all,

figured I'd reach out here as I am contemplating options.....

I have been using a Weber Stainless Steel Performer for about the past fifteen years, on the whole things have gone well with it though as it aged starting got more challenging but overall nothing major. I replaced the grates once, as well as the charcoal baskets and for a while had the rotisserie but since sold it as I never used it.

I always used briquettes in it however last season I decided to try lump in it, and then at the end found some major mold issues inside the grill....I cleaned it out but just got sick of dealing with the cleaning process and the challenges with starting that I went to the store and bought a Genesis II SE which I haven't taken delivery on yet.

I was going to just sell the performer for $80 if I could get it, and had it up locally for a lot of interest, but decided to clean it again and sure enough it started up.....

Now I am wondering should I keep it? I have read that the 5lb tanks are expensive to replace, and I am pretty sure mine won't be fillable any more due to age....plus I almost think the ignition system needs to be replaced and I don't know if they even make it any more, as well as it needs a new cover....I figure all of that would cost about as much as a new performer.

Part of me just wants to run with the Genesis as it looks far simpler from an upkeep perspective with the stainless grates and no lava rocks..

My extended family tough is all beating the you'll miss out going to a gas grill drum.....I am used to charcoal but some aspects of gas seem more appealing.

Any thoughts appreciated

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Stainless Steel Weber Performer options
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 07:28:45 AM »
Not a gasser here, so no real help. Just sticks and charcoal in my arena. :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
I bought a SWEET red mist SSP that was mostly stored indoors.  The tank was out of date & did not have the current handle that indicates it has overflow protection, but it did have a sticker that stated it had overflow protection (which is apparently what they first did).  There is a local family owned propane dealer & he recertified the tank for free, just for filling it up.  He also had no problem filling it up even though it didn't have the newer handle that indicates it does have overflow protection.  He even mentioned I should bring it back to him because a lot of places won't fill it if it has the old style handle, regardless of the fact that this one actually has overflow protection. 

The 5lb tanks can be expensive, but you could always switch to a 20 or one guy even converted it to the disposable 1lb ones.  Myself, after filling it, I never check to see if the igniter works.  I just keep using a charcoal chimney with newspaper.  I might start graduate to paper towels used to wipe grease off pans, like someone else suggested.  If I can find a coffee can or something to store them in. 

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
Various people have pointed to a number of aftermarket cover options because Weber doesn't make one that fits this anymore.  I wound up picking up one for a decent sized propane grill that was on clearance for $10.  It was made well & I wasn't that concerned about the fit, as long as it was big enough.  It also gives me room to stick something on top of the table side (underneath the cover) to make sure water runs off the table very easily.

I started doing that after someone else mentioned putting a basketball there.  I use a spare lid because it doesn't leak air, plus you can store something under the lid.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:01:12 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
I have both a Weber gasser and multiple kettles.  I use the gas grill usually during the week when I need to get something on the table and I'm tired after getting home from work.  I use charcoal on the weekends, or when I'm not as tired.  No reason not to have both, IMO.  I'm not an advocate of using a grill cover though, but all my grills sleep in the garage.

My Performer is newer and uses the 1# tanks, but I typically use a chimney and not the igniter.  I'm finding myself using the chimney on the Summit charcoal too.

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »
Hi, I do the same as CurtP. If you have the room, keep the SSP and find a 3 burner Jenny for quick cooks. Aftermarket covers are available as well as the burner tube assembly (ereplacements.com)
I built in a very nice gas grill and retired my original kettle for camping trips. Love the convenience, no ash, shorter warm up time, no charcoal to buy etc. Great for weeknight burgers, steaks etc. Aside from the learninbg curve where I overcooked everything on gas, I finally realized that certain (most) food is much better cooked over charcoal. A tri-tip just isnt the same on gas; really needs a touch of red oak smoke to turn out right. Wound up buying a Performer to fill the need. Best move I ever made. Convenient to light, empty ashes and best of all you get the rich flavor that only comes from low & slow cooking.I have since 'restored' a few more Performers and  2 free Genesis grills and given them to family and friends. Hard to turn down an older 6 burner Summit for $45.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:40:18 AM by Mrnomad »
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

Bozack

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
Thanks all, yeah its a tough one, there is a part of me that says cancel the Genesis order as it is expensive, but the convenience seems hard to pass up, as well as the option for a rotisserie and their smart phone temp monitoring system....

I could convert the performer to a larger tank, but I also figure the ignition needs to be replaced and the cover, I just don't have the space to store them in the garage and getting them off the deck is a pain. Part of me wonders if its more cost effective to just buy a new performer or as others have said stop using the ignition.

One thing I know for sure is that I won't be using lump again, man that makes a mess.

WeberCrazyInCbus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
If you decide to keep your SSP, make sure to verify the burner tube and electrode are clean- I’ve found after extended use these both can get “gunked” up, causing the Gas Assist to stop working. Personally, I love the Gas Assist on my SSP. Also, although my 5lb tank needs re-certified, I’ve never had an issue getting it refilled in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
Get a chimney and some Weber starter cubes
and forget about the gas system on that SSP.

The gas is a little faster that's all.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:04 PM »
I suggest keeping your classic SSP, post pictures of the problem areas here and let us help you restore it. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
I agree with Charlie!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
This cover fits well and has lasted me several season and is still in great shape (It even fits snug, but easily, with the 2016+ lid bale on my SSP.)

https://www.grillstuff.com/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older?yotpo_token=d0a7a2886ee9ef9ef688ebfc8f700504468070d8&utm_source=yotpo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=map&ref=yotpo_8

The igniter might just need a cleaning as others have said.  check that wire and ground locations are not corroded.  New ones are about $15 I think (They've gone up quite a bit here, last one I bought was under $11.)
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/igniter-kit-p-1477477.html?osCsid=r80m0eut06vceb0av7tlt719a0

Or, install an electric ignier.  I did this and it is really nice.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ignition-module-p-1868748.html

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/electric-start-on-performer-ss-conversion/msg139429/#msg139429
If you have the triangle and not the star handle, you likely can get the tank re-certified.

Worse case, a new tank is $50 (Ace/True Value used to carry these with free shipping to nearby store.)
https://www.midlandhardware.com/496984.html?dfw_tracker=14396-496984&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7sDlBRC9ARIsAD-pDFrswJM6HxiNDuSam4MK3czEvQdF2_AECWYzf3AhgFCH6Dy5wAykgOAaAh3qEALw_wcB

I think you would need one of these to convert your regulator to acme:
https://www.amazon.com/GasSaf-QCC1-Propane-Adapter-Regulator/dp/B0742ZDKG5/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=acme+nut&qid=1555131409&s=gateway&sr=8-5
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:11:38 PM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
Also, I use a chimney, but light it with my igniter.  Best of both worlds.  Super easy, super clean, and the tank lasts super long, if you don't forget to turn it off.

I'd return the gasser too.  It take but maybe 10 more minutes to get the SSP up to temp with gas start and a chimney.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:17:18 PM by ClubChapin »

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 10:21:46 PM »
I rehabbed an old SSP last year.   

I went with a newer acme nut 5lb tank and swapped the fitting on the  regulator on my SSP.   $60

I also called Weber and ordered Stainless grates 80728 $50. (Ask for a discount)

This is the cover I found.  Classic Accessories Ravenna Grill Cover For The Weber Performer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MTYWAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l6xSCbKGGTJ0A

A good cleaning of the gas assist should get it back working. 

I use both gas and charcoal.  And I have the midsize Weber Q 220 on my back deck for quick weekday cooks.  I also use it for seasoning cast iron. There is a case to be made for both of your options.   

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »