Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are all Weber rotisserie motors & rotisserie interchangeable?  (Read 738 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
There was another thread about rotisseries, instead of hi-jacking that one, I thought I'd ask here.  I am guessing that rotisserie kits are basically identical with respect to motors & brackets, but really don't know if it is true.  Wondered if someone might know. 

Basically, I'm assuming that if a motor goes, you can replace it with just about any other weber motor.  If that is true, then I'm guessing the brackets are identical too, but that probably a bit less likely.
regards,
Hal

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Are all Weber rotisserie motors & rotisserie interchangeable?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
I have two generations of them. One from the early 70s and one from around 2000.  The brackets look different enough that I don't think you can swap the motors.  I'm not sure, since I never tried, and can't do it now, since the older one is at the cabin.  I can report back after this weekend, if I go up there.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Are all Weber rotisserie motors & rotisserie interchangeable?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
No, all motors and brackets are not interchangeable.  The motor on the left is older and fits the bracket in the background via two notches.  The motor on the right is newer and only fits the newer brackets which aren’t as wide.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:56:21 PM by Mr.CPHo »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Which leads us to the next questions.  Are the more modern motors & brackets all interchangeable?

I have the older style bracket on an old roti-ring, but with an old non-Weber motor that was either made to replace it (another bbq company) or rigged to do so.  My old motor is more of an "innie", whereas your old motor is more of an "outie".  Was yours rigged for a shorter spit?  Mine spit was "missing" the handle, but then I noticed one of the posts mentioned they didn't have handles on them way back when, so I'm guessing it was original but who knows.

No, all motors and brackets are not interchangeable.  The motor on the left is older and fits the bracket in the background via two notches.  The motor on the right is newer and only fits the newer brackets which aren’t as wide.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:35:45 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
Assuming we’re talking about the vintage 22” roti, the spit measures exactly 25” long, has a groove an inch from the end and does not have a handle.

No, I don’t believe my motors were rigged to receive shorter spits.  I have two and both are “outies”. 

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, now I'll have to take another look at it again. 
regards,
Hal

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »
Which leads us to the next questions.  Are the more modern motors & brackets all interchangeable?

In my experience all 5/16" motors, brackets, & spits from the modern era, that I have tried, at least from three different manufacturers (Weber, OneGrill, & Master Forge) ARE interchangeable.

I have found that the sockets on various motors are different depths so spits may not fit on the passive end without adjusting the spit rod bushing.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/roto-spit-rod-length/msg407686/#msg407686

It's real easy to shorten a longer rod if you see a great deal on a gasser rotisserie set up.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/angle-grinder-spit-sharpener/msg394286/#msg394286
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:26:54 AM by ClubChapin »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 04:31:36 AM »
I've already acquired two NIB 9890s. 
regards,
Hal