Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning the Kettle  (Read 1638 times)

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
Cleaning the Kettle
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:18:43 AM »
So I have had the grill for 6 months or so I bought it brand new and I attempted to clean the bowl yesterday for all the caked on crab with some weber grill cleaner and some soapy water and mild sponge.... is there something better to get the bowl clean and keep it clean I like the new-ish look vs caked on sauces, fats and ashes.

Thanks in advance!
Glenn
Just Grill It!

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cleaning the Kettle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
Drip pans go a long way in keeping kettle interiors cleaner.

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:22:13 AM »
Yea I have learned that much.... thats why I want to get it all cleaned up and try and keep it that way
Just Grill It!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:02 AM »
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »
Thank you for the link... I was nervous about using a razor blade inside because I thought it would damage it... clearly i was wrong.
Just Grill It!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
If you plan on using the grill frequently, just a quick scrape with a plastic putty knife is all that is needed. Trying to keep the interior shiny would be futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
Here is a picture of 2 of my daily drivers right after I "cleaned" ? them ! LOL

[attachment deleted by admin]
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »
Thanks for advice and good looking set of kettles...
Just Grill It!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »
If you plan on using the grill frequently, just a quick scrape with a plastic putty knife is all that is needed. Trying to keep the interior shiny would be futile.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
Yup, the only time I cleaned the kettles was installing new sweeps and taking hold of some craiglist buys.

I know what I cook in my own kettle and I DON't know what the "used" kettle prior owners cooked up in it. In my neck of the woods, the melting pot of America, we have a very diverse culture of people and their culinary fares. I clean them really good before I use em and dump the grill grates that has grease and watnots built up on it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:09:24 PM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:45:04 AM »
Is the drip-n-griddle worth the money or would be throw away aluminum pans do just fine? I know it covers more space especially since I have the slow-n-sear it would cover the whole bottom... just curious if anyone has experience with it.
Just Grill It!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:14:11 AM »
Is the drip-n-griddle worth the money or would be throw away aluminum pans do just fine? I know it covers more space especially since I have the slow-n-sear it would cover the whole bottom... just curious if anyone has experience with it.

I have both the SNS and the drip-n-griddle.  I have no regrets purchasing the drip-n-griddle. They both stay in a dedicated kettle.   To clean it I occasionally scrape off all the drippings with a putty knife into the green recycle container.  That being said, aluminum foil works just as well.  I take my SNS with me on vacation and use aluminum foil to catch the drippings.  I utilize aluminum pans when cooking indirect with charcoal baskets. They work fine between the charcoal baskets but are difficult to adjust to the curves of the bowl when using a SNS.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
Thank you for the tips... I must pick one up.

Just Grill It!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »

Save your money and go with the disposable aluminum pans. I use them all the time. Just bend them into shape if you need to adjust. Cook and toss. One of the best inventions ever IMHO... We get a stack of them at the local big box store (BJ's around here) for cheap. I hate cleaning up greasy, dripped on pans... this works grate 4me.  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »
I was using the aluminum pans and then I made a couple things in a pinch with a wet marinade and now the bowl is all gross and clumpy but I suppose it would be the cheaper alternative and mess free option.
Just Grill It!