Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Salton Sea Chestnut  (Read 21019 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Salton Sea Chestnut
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
I’ll be visiting my father in law the first week of November. He lives in Mecca which is about 15 minutes from Bombay beach. I’ll take a field trip to that beautiful little town.

Looking forward to seeing closure on this.  Hope your able to secure it as it would be a legendary score.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
I have seen videos on youtube about this small town. Its more of a place people go to be off the grid. And from the video i watched trade is a big thing. Who ever goes to get it bring a 30 pack and maybe a replacement grill. Shit id bring them a 30 pack , 18 bag of charcoal, buns and a pack of frozen burgers lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

chuckff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
My wife and I spent a little over an hour this morning driving through the streets of Bombay Beach looking for this bbq. We came up empty. Although we did receive quite a few unwelcome stares from some of the local residents.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »
Dang!  I was waiting for the update on this.  Did you check the coordinates I found?  I'm glad you looked...otherwise I would have!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

chuckff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 02:15:41 PM »

Dang!  I was waiting for the update on this.  Did you check the coordinates I found?  I'm glad you looked...otherwise I would have!

yep we circled that block 3 times.

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »
That sucks Chuck! But you obviously gave it the ' Ol College Try! Were you able to identify the exact spot from the video?

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
@chuckff Kudos to your efforts. I bet it was quite the experience driving around out there.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »
Damn this was a cool story. Too bad the prize went unfound. At least no one was hurt in the making...

I've seen a docu. on Salton Sea- the whole thing is weird.

@Cellar2ful how many hours have you spent on the Zapruder film? :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

chuckff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
I’ll probably take another trip out there in the future. My father lives in Mecca which is west of Bombay Beach. We visit him at least 4 times a year. If I find I’ll post the pics.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2023, 04:06:26 PM »
So here’s a crazy random twist from the past! …

We are currently visiting my parents in Palm Desert, and today they decided to take us out to the Salton Sea. Just as we get to the outskirts of the northern tip we pull into the little town of Bombay Beach. We then head towards the water on a gravel/sand road that passes many of the lots with old RVs, Campers and other misc stuff. EXACTLY the type of place that sets off a Kettleheads spider senses for old grills - so I’m scanning back and side yards for kettles when my heart skipped a beat or three...

I see what appears to be a wood dale chestnut lid atop a burn barrel sitting in a partially vacant lot. Of course I start losing my mind and ask my Dad to pull around the block. Sure enough, it’s a legit chestnut lid! … it was at this very moment I remembered this post and realized it was the same grill and quickly jumped onto the site. After rediscovering this thread and details I can confirm 100% this is the same lot from the video, but there is no kettle base this time and only the lid in sight.

Here’s where things are a bit sketchy… the lot appears abandoned but one of the trailers has someone living in it. I didn’t want to just walk up and peek inside the as the area is interesting to say the least! I then saw someone across the street who nodded at us and looked friendly so I asked if he knew the owner. He said he did, but that today was not a good day to bother him as he was having a “bad morning” … I didn’t need any other warning more than the look he gave me so I decided not to try to bother the person who was at least believed to be inside. But I couldn’t resist walking around the side on the neighbouring lot that is abandoned and reached in for a few pics…  :o

Kudos to @Cellar2ful and others who did some super sleuthing to narrow down the search on this grill originally. Jim, I’m happy to share more precise details with you privately if you want to give it a go. I would hope the kettle bottom is still around the lot somewhere as it looked to be pretty solid in the original video clip. We (respectfully) snooped around the neighbouring lots but I couldn’t see it hiding around at all. Had both pieces been in view I may have been a bit more brave :)

Perhaps one day this fabled beauty will become a part of the club - until then they ARE still out there fellas! Talk about a small world!

Good luck on the hunt!

Matt
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 04:12:00 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Cellar2ful

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2023, 04:52:04 PM »

Wow. Thanks for the update Matt.   I had to go back and read this thread since it is 5 years old (2018).  Smart choice not to approach the guy living on the property if he was "having a bad day".  It would be really cool if someone did save the Boobie.....................

@crowderjd  @chuckff

chuckff

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
Funny thing about this. I was in the area this past weekend but didn’t have any spare time to look for this. My brother in law has lived in North Shore for 50 years and said that Bombay Beach is a pretty closed community so approaching someone could be iffy. He recommended stopping in at the bar and grill and buying a few drinks then show the bartender the pictures.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 04:24:10 AM »
Wow. Great work.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2023, 05:04:49 PM »

A Weber Kettle Club QRF (Quick Reaction Force) has been deployed to Bombay Beach.  Details will be released once the mission is Declassified.   

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2023, 09:07:10 PM »
A side trip on my road trip…

ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger