Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need advice for Baby Back Ribs on 22" master touch with charcoal baskets  (Read 927 times)

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
Hey everyone.  Looking for some advice on doing ribs on my kettle.  I've searched on here and found a wide range of ideas.  Here's my question:

What's the best way to set up my kettle to do 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 ribs using my charcoal baskets?  I'm not ready to make the leap to a SnS yet and have heard and read that the charcoal baskets can function ok for this purpose as well.  Do you use both baskets or just one?  Lit coals on top of unlit coals?  Lit coals next to unlit coals?  Lit coals underneath unlit coals?  I've heard lots of suggestions and would like to hear from those who have had success using the weber baskets.  I know you can do the snake method too, but since i have the baskets I'd rather try those to keep the coals away from the sides a bit.

I'd appreciate any advice you have!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need advice for Baby Back Ribs on 22" master touch with charcoal baskets
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
If you dont have an older "collectable" kettle then run a snake. If you have a newer black kettle then beat the hell out of it.

As for using the basket..lit coal on top of unlit to begin. Your gonna need to feed it 8 or so briquettes periodically, 30-45 minutes or so.

I also like to use something to block the radiant heat from the ribs. I have some thin bricks I found in my yard when I moved in. I have also run heavy duty foil down from the grate.

Research the crap out of it. There are plenty of tips on YouTube. The weber grill skills videos of helpful. A rib rack is handy. A 26r is very very handy.

Good luck
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Need advice for Baby Back Ribs on 22" master touch with charcoal baskets
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
You don’t need baskets or slow and sear. Do the snake or simply bank the coals and place a drip pan with water under the ribs.  Baskets are nice for searing steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Snake all the way for this cook. It’s fool proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Another vote for snake method

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Also I don’t wrap ribs unless I’m in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
Snake!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need advice for Baby Back Ribs on 22" master touch with charcoal baskets
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
I just heap lump coal on one side and add a few lit briqs...Adjust the vents to get the temp where ya want...No gadgets required...