Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: cast iron grate options for the weber kettle  (Read 4332 times)

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
Re: cast iron grate options for the weber kettle
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 02:47:26 AM »

lunchman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
Maybe I've been lucky, but the cast iron grate in my Bubba Keg has been in the cooker for 8 years, never rusted. The Keg is always outside on my deck in the New England winters, has never been stored indoors. It did get a lot of use, on the order of 3-4 cooks per week.

The Craycort grate I just put in the Weber saw limited use for perhaps a year and then was stored in my garage. There was a small bit of rust that easily came off with a wire brush. I seasoned it once more before putting it into the Kettle. We'll see how it does as it's my only grate for the Weber and will remain in the grill. I can't recall if I ever had rust issues with it when it was stored in the cooker I bought it for.

As an aside, I checked to see if the Bubba Keg grate would fit in the Weber. No dice, too large a diameter.

-Dom
Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 06:02:51 AM »
I've previously see it suggested to use salt & a damp rag (perhaps damp with oil, I don't recall), instead of steel wool.

In any event, instead of sticking it in the oven after putting cooking oil on it, you might consider putting it in a barbeque to "cook" the cast iron & cooking oil (if it fits).  That way any smell from heating the cooking oil up is outside the house.

Years ago, I seasoned some cast iron in the oven & it basically creates an odor.  If I did it again, anything that fits in the barbeque would be seasoned in the barbeque.  Which gives everyone ANOTHER reason to consider a 26" or even a Ranch!

A good way is described here. I used it once and it worked quite well.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-restore-a-rusty-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203086
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:26:56 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »
I've previously see it suggested to use salt & a damp rag (perhaps damp with oil, I don't recall), instead of steel wool.

In any event, instead of sticking it in the oven after putting cooking oil on it, you might consider putting it in a barbeque to "cook" the cast iron & cooking oil (if it fits).  That way any smell from heating the cooking oil up is outside the house.

Years ago, I seasoned some cast iron in the oven & it basically creates an odor.  If I did it again, anything that fits in the barbeque would be seasoned in the barbeque.  Which gives everyone ANOTHER reason to consider a 26" or even a Ranch!

A good way is described here. I used it once and it worked quite well.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-restore-a-rusty-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203086
Yeah, fully agree to put it on BBQ instead of the oven (I did it also this way) however the method of cleaning as such worked for me quite well.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
Mix a past if salt, vinegar ,and flour. Work in to the rust areas let sit forc15 minutes clean off with a damp towel.
Works front outside door knobs too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
Mix a past if salt, vinegar ,and flour. Work in to the rust areas let sit forc15 minutes clean off with a damp towel.
Works front outside door knobs too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Ratio of ingredients?  Equal parts? 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 06:21:15 AM »
For rust, I usually just build a hot fire and hit it with a wire brush and some Pam.  I've used a craycort for 8 years and this has worked fine.

Also, don't forget this accessory.
https://www.cast-iron-grate.com/index.php/insert-for-the-gourmetsystem.html

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 06:40:45 AM »
Here is an option:
https://www.chargriller.com/collections/parts/products/charcoal-grate-14-5-x-8-0
and:
https://www.chargriller.com/products/grate-lifter.

I have a couple of these left over from my Chargriller days. They are easy to handle and keep seasoned. Work fine on top of the standard Weber grate. Is it worth the effort? I dunno.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »
So.... I have to ask. What's the purpose of a cast iron grate instead of nickel plated or stainless steel?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

lunchman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 07:09:10 AM »
So.... I have to ask. What's the purpose of a cast iron grate instead of nickel plated or stainless steel?

Claim is it gets hotter, leaves nicer sear marks. I've used both over the years, couldn't really tell the difference. And can't do any more comparison tests as all three of my grills have cast iron grates.

I do find the cast iron easier to clean. If it does rust, it's easier to re-season. A badly rusted standard grate like that in the kettle I just refurbished had just one option: trash can.
Bubba Keg, Goldens' Cast Iron Cooker, Weber 18" Kettle

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 07:17:28 AM »
Cast Iron grate will cook anything you need to cook. But it does 1 thing REAL GOOD that a steel rod grate can’t and that is searing a steak. Searing a steak seals the outside by use of a term I can’t remember right now but that’s what you want on your steak. The metal mass of the CI holds way more heat and it can also move the heat within the grate faster than the thin steel rods.
Think of it like this... even a room temp steak is cold compared to searing hot grate above smoking hot coals. When you lay that beautiful T-Bone on the grate some strange things happen.. the grate wants the cool from the steak and the steak wants the heat from the grate! So they start swapping heat and cold energy and if your thin rod grate is.. thin.. then the heat is quickly sucked out of the grate and pumped into the steak.
If you have heavy cast iron grates then you have way more metal and normally wider grate metal compared to thin rods. This mega mass of metal holds more heat and the steak has a harder time pulling the heat out of it.
This will give you deeper sear and wider sear marks.
If you look at the photo you can see the contact points of the cast iron Sear Grate and the effect it gives. Even tho the steak is directly over the coals the part not touching the cast iron is not seared!
The ultimate sear comes from a cast iron skillet or griddle because of the flat surface of the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 08:26:53 AM »
Cast Iron grate will cook anything you need to cook. But it does 1 thing REAL GOOD that a steel rod grate can’t and that is searing a steak. Searing a steak seals the outside by use of a term I can’t remember right now but that’s what you want on your steak. The metal mass of the CI holds way more heat and it can also move the heat within the grate faster than the thin steel rods.
Think of it like this... even a room temp steak is cold compared to searing hot grate above smoking hot coals. When you lay that beautiful T-Bone on the grate some strange things happen.. the grate wants the cool from the steak and the steak wants the heat from the grate! So they start swapping heat and cold energy and if your thin rod grate is.. thin.. then the heat is quickly sucked out of the grate and pumped into the steak.
If you have heavy cast iron grates then you have way more metal and normally wider grate metal compared to thin rods. This mega mass of metal holds more heat and the steak has a harder time pulling the heat out of it.
This will give you deeper sear and wider sear marks.
If you look at the photo you can see the contact points of the cast iron Sear Grate and the effect it gives. Even tho the steak is directly over the coals the part not touching the cast iron is not seared!
The ultimate sear comes from a cast iron skillet or griddle because of the flat surface of the pan.

You went where my next question was going to go. Why not then sear with a cast iron skillet and then finish off on a standard grate?

Mind you, the OEM, non hinged grates bother me as the metal rods they are made with are super thin. The hinged grates are of considerably heavier gauge steel and in actual use, give me pretty good sear marks.

Of course now you made me want to go and grill up some steaks this weekend. Hope the rain holds off.
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 08:30:57 AM »
searing in a skillet prevents all the fat from going into the coals

fat dripping into the coals is what produces that magical charcoal grilled flavor.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
cast iron grate options for the weber kettle
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
searing in a skillet prevents all the fat from going into the coals

fat dripping into the coals is what produces that magical charcoal grilled flavor.

+1

And we like to play outside on our kettles !

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:49:39 AM by vwengguy »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
Stainless Steel is the answer.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest