Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carry bag for Smokey Joe?  (Read 3037 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Carry bag for Smokey Joe?
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:43:29 AM »
I like taking my little Smokey Joe camping. And as I am getting older, I am losing my interest in tent camping. We are going with a slide in truck camper. This is a bit of an issue with the smokey joe...

Previously I had kept it in the back of the truck on one end of the bed away from everything else to keep ash and soot from getting on the rest of my gear. WIth a slide in camper I kind of have to carry it in the camper (6.5 foot bed truck, 8 foot camper, so a hitch haul won't work...).

I need a carry bag of some sort to keep the Smokey Joe in during transport to keep it from getting things like sleeping bags and camper upholstery all nasty...

What are other SJ owners doing to carry their in?
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Carry bag for Smokey Joe?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
I have a bag for mine and love it, what is preventing you from buying one?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
You mean like this?

https://bit.ly/2MywXA5

You could also dig through the bags
at a Goodwill or other thrift shop.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
I also have one and it’s great! When little Joey is napping between cooks he stays nice and clean.
I have this model and it’s nice. It doubles as a big cooler bag as its insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »

Lack of awareness of existing carry bag. Thanks for showing me they make one specifically for the SJ! Gonna order one!
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »

Lack of awareness of existing carry bag. Thanks for showing me they make one specifically for the SJ! Gonna order one!

Oh, I thought you knew about it and was asking about it.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 02:08:48 AM »
I wish that bag had a tiny bit more room for my little chimney.  Otherwise it works grate for camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:51:23 AM »
I also have one and it’s great! When little Joey is napping between cooks he stays nice and clean.
I have this model and it’s nice. It doubles as a big cooler bag as its insulated.

WOW! Where did you get that? I would love one.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 05:58:27 AM »
I got mine here in The Netherlands by a CL seller that said he got it in USA !
Every once in a while they pop up here but they are hard to find. I have seen them on 1-2 German websites but not many.
Mostly we have the same all black bags that are listed on the Weber site. The black style came as type 1 and newer type 2.
Ja.. it just has that cool factor with the colors and the fact it is heavy duty and insulated.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 06:11:05 AM »
The charcoal go anywhere would be great to stow and use camping as an alternative.  It’s enclosed and small and square and the legs lock the lid. Not to mention, it would be more versatile to cook on imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »
The charcoal go anywhere would be great to stow and use camping as an alternative.  It’s enclosed and small and square and the legs lock the lid. Not to mention, it would be more versatile to cook on imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

While true, I already own a Smokey Joe. CGAs don't come up in the used market, or new on sale all that often. Not that I haven't been looking. I am somewhat admittedly cheap when it comes to paying full price for a small grill when I already own one.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 04:54:24 AM »
It should be noted the bag has been ordered. The Smokey Joe has been in my collection for years. A CGA us on the add list, it'll be a while. Watching the sales...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:59 AM »
It should be noted the bag has been ordered...

You'll love it. I have the same bag for my SJ. Word to the wise... Clean the SJ prior to installing in the bag. Keeps the bag nice and from getting yucked out.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:26 AM »
You could always cancel the bag order & just use a bungee cord to keep the lid on & put it inside a garbage bag to & from the campgrounds instead of cleaning the SJ before & after in order to keep the bag clean that you are using to keep the camper clean.

Or, you just could put it in the garbage bag to keep your SJ bag clean, which you are buying to keep the camper clean.

Or, you could clean the SJ before & after, use a bungee cord to keep the lid on, & skip the garbage bag since you cleaned the grill already.
regards,
Hal