Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear Plus, vs. 2.0, vs. XL... in a 26er. Anyone w/ experience?  (Read 1564 times)

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Greetings all.  I am pondering the mysteries of life.  (A very limited aspect of it, anyway.) 

I've done some finagling to get my hands on a modern 26er... but that is all in process, and it is not yet in my possession.  It will be this weekend.  So, I'm daydreaming about what to buy for it.  ;-)

I am hoping there is someone out there with EXPERIENCE on the topic of SnS use in a 26er, with a 22" standard version vs. the XL.  (I did a search, and can't really find a lot of discussion on the topic of 'comparisons' in a 26er.) 

I've got an SnS+... and am considering buying a SnS XL.   However, I'm also 'kinda' considering selling the SnS+, and buying an SnS 2.0 (and probably losing $30 in the process), and calling that 'good enough.'  OR... just sticking with the SnS+, and not spending more $$$.   (I do want to always keep a 22" SnS for use in 22" kettles.)

With the incoming 26er, I'm wondering whether an XL would be overkill.  I assume most of the time, the SnS+ will probably be "fine" though perhaps not "the best."

I usually use my SnS+ in one of my 22s to cook 2 zone (with steaks and chicken breasts).  I'm relatively new to smoking... and have done ribs about 6 times.  I have yet to do any smoking cooks with the SnS longer than the 5ish hour rib cooks I've done.   (I also own a 22" WSM, and probably won't sell it... so for a brisket, etc., I'd likely go with that.)

SO: 

The benefits of the SnS XL would be a larger sear zone, and longer burn times.  I don't know that I'll necessarily do longer cooks on the 26er (as I have the WSM).  I assume the SnS XL won't be a significant enough upgrade in the 26er to justify the cost for the larger sear zone benefit alone. Can I justify the expenditure to an XL for a larger sear zone alone?   (Probably not?)

That's where I wish I had the 2.0.  For the 2 zone cooking... without the water (the normal 2 zone cooking), I'd already have a "larger sear zone."  I'd be getting a bigger sear zone in the 22" compatible SnS, and it would seem to be a good compromise.   

The flip side... like many of us, of course, I want the 26er setup to be "ideal," even though I've got other options (the WSM).  If we didn't like our toys... we wouldn't be on a grill forum.  We'd just have a grill, and we'd just cook on it.   ;-)

Anyone with substantial experience with a 26" kettle, and the SnS XL vs 'standard' SnS (+ or 2.0)?  Recommendations?  Is the XL a mind-blowing experience with the 26er?  Or would you be perfectly happy with just the standard size SnS?  (Particularly if you owned a WSM?)

Thoughts?  Advice?

Thanks

p.s.  Of course, assessing this as a "need" based issue isn't quite accurate, I get it.  I don't "need" anything more than a 22" kettle and the SnS I've already got.  I'm just trying to assess whether it's really getting borderline silly to buy the XL when I already own a standard size.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:40:36 AM by baglorious »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Slow n Sear Plus, vs. 2.0, vs. XL... in a 26er. Anyone w/ experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:00 AM »
I can't speak to the SNS in a 26er but I can tell you the SNS xl in a 26 is a game changer and never leaves my grill except when I throw it in the ranch on occasion
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »
What a timely post. I'm getting a 26er soon too and have  SnS+ and was wondering the same thing! My initial plans are to make the Marty bigger better basket since I have an extra set.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »
If you already have a regular SNS, you could just use that and get the same effect. The SNSXL is really nice to have, but isn't necessary if you already have one for the 22" kettle.
Many times, I use my 26" like an oven. I can fit a large foil pan on there and steam potatoes and I get a nice even temperature on the indirect side. I have never done anything low + slow with it as I opt to cook big meats on the WSM.

Is a SNSXL a mind blowing experience? No.

If you only had a 26" I would say get it.

Since you already have an SNS for your 22....I'd just use that.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
What a timely post. I'm getting a 26er soon too and have  SnS+ and was wondering the same thing! My initial plans are to make the Marty bigger better basket since I have an extra set.

JC,

A Marty basket and some foil wrapped bricks will do the same thing.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
@Firemunkee I have an SNSXL now for my "other" 26er, so I'll give you the 26er "Marty" basket I had been using. I'll bring it to the event at the end of the month. Are you planing to use your new 26er at that event?
Retired

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
@Firemunkee I have an SNSXL now for my "other" 26er, so I'll give you the 26er "Marty" basket I had been using. I'll bring it to the event at the end of the month. Are you planing to use your new 26er at that event?

Woohoo thanks! I unfortunately won't be able to help out at the event, but the 26er will! It will be manned none other than @mike.stavlund himself.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »

JC,

A Marty basket and some foil wrapped bricks will do the same thing.

Thanks for the input!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
I use my 22 sns in my 26.  It works well for everything I do except packer briskets.   For that I do a snake.  Personally, I don’t think you need an xl. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 03:46:33 AM »
Thanks for the  replies, all!  I wasn't expecting anyone to help my show restraint toward grill-gear purchases!  That almost never happens, right?

I think I'm going to slow my roll a bit... enjoy what I have, and resist the urge to acquire more stuff.  (I will, however, be making a martybasket, now that I've heard of such things!)

I think I may also keep my eyes open for an opportunity to swap my SnS+ for a 2.0, if I can do so at negligible cost.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 03:59:58 AM »
Here’s some inspiration for the grater bigger basket you need for the 26er

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/an-even-grater-bigger-basket/
Retired

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
I use the the normal bbb in both the 22 and 26. Works grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »
Is the SnS XL too big  for a 22" Kettle? I  have  a 26er  & a 22" Gen2 Performer...i dont think i need to buy one for each kettle as im in Canada and would be quite  pricey

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Is the SnS XL too big  for a 22" Kettle? I  have  a 26er  & a 22" Gen2 Performer...i dont think i need to buy one for each kettle as im in Canada and would be quite  pricey

The xl will not fit in the 22. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KettleMaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Ok i thought so thank you...i thought so but wasnt 100%