Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 7 Hours 370 miles and One GRAIL PIC HEAVY  (Read 2167 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
7 Hours 370 miles and One GRAIL PIC HEAVY
« on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »
Let me start by saying " Any written form would be a feeble attempt to show my appreciation and gratitude to @AZogas ". I wouldn't have this if it wasn't for him. BIIIIG THAAAAAAANKS!
So yesterday I only worked until 1. I text Alex about a NIB Copper SA I was looking at but it was sold. Waiting to hear back about a CHILL for him. At 2:14 he gets back and lets me know about a Sequoia on CL in VT. He said picture in the ad wasn't great. I immediately went on CL and saw the ad, I was speechless. Only up for 4 hours at this point At 2:17 I called the seller and got no answer and left a message. I then immediately emailed him saying I would come today to pick it up. I realized in my voicemail I didn't say I would pick it up today. At 2:23 I called back to leave another message and seller answered. I explained I was a little over 3 hours away in NY but would leave NOW. I didn't ask questions. I didn't care about pictures. Got in the truck, gassed up, and was on the road at 2:31. It was a beautiful ride up into the Adirondacks and on over into Vermont. I arrived at 5:53.A minute later I couldn't believe my eyes. Seller was a really nice Gentlemen. He explained he bought it in 1968 in Ft. Collins, CO. Brought it back to VT with him. He was early 80s I would say. He engraved his SS # on the lid damper. He just didn't use it anymore. I only looked it over fast and loved what I saw. Kettle rode in the Cab with me and the cart got covered with a moving blanket. Back on the road at 6:15. I knew I would be home when it was dark. I arrived home at 9:30. I was shot. Took a shower ,ate some food, relaxed, and was asleep by 11. This morning I woke up early and started to really get a look. Kettle is in really nice shape. Cart is solid but will be restored. If anybody has one and notices It's missing anything, please chime in. Thanks Fellas
Still can't believe it, I'm pinching myself. Thanks Again Alex!

Picture from the ad

All packed up for the journey home.

Looks like a ring is missing. Anybody know if these are original?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:48:42 AM by CatskillSmoker »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: 7 Hours 370 miles and One GRAIL PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »
I’m speechless! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrnomad

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
What a beauty. Great find and great story too!
11 kettles, 2 WSMs, and 1 lonely gas grill!

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:55 AM »
Wow, just wow! Congrats Colin!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Awesome score
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 07:56:16 AM »

Congratulations Colin.  Another great example of grillfella teamwork.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
Congrats!!! [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
@CatskillSmoker NICE FIND!

I picked one up a couple weeks back in Wood Dale, IL (but bowl was previously replaced with one having handles).

There are some hook sort of things that come out of the side opposite the rings (apparently the rings are to hold towels or whatnot & there were only 2 on mine & I thought I only saw 2 on the other pics I found on here).  The hooks that you & I are missing are there to provide a place to hold the lid when you take it off.

Here is a pic that kind of shows a side view of the hooks coming out of a Sequoia that Harris has.  (Mine are broken off, but still have the tabs that are attached to the wood).  My hardware style is like what is on here, but others had different styles & yours looks familiar.  According to one post, they bought the hardware from different venders from one year to another.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:37:30 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 08:50:46 AM »
Wow, just wow! Congrats Colin!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
X2! Fantastic!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Sweet score, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:09 AM »
Yet another super score by Colin (Kettle Karma at work) !!! Congratulations !
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
Amazing. Crazy what is out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bertman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
Wow!  My dad lives in VT but I forget to check for kettles. It’s really a once in a life time piece of art.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
I actually wound up passing up one maybe last fall that was maybe $100-$150, that had a dark green kettle (if memory serves).  At the time, I didn't think that much of them & figured it would be too much effort to make the wood look nice, etc. It kind of bugged me the doors & hardware were missing on one side, plus I just recently joined & had no idea if it was a good price, an ok price, a high price, whatever.  I was looking at the hardware & it didn't match up with what I saw on the Sequoia that Harris had, I was trying to blow the pics up & figure out if maybe someone made a replica, etc.  By the time I decided to pull the trigger, it was gone & is was around for a while because she did contact me after someone else didn't show. 
I think it was maybe in La Grange Park, IL or thereabouts.
Always wondered who got it.
regards,
Hal

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Anyone ever seen this,upside down charcoal grate.