Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Barbacoa De Cabeza de Res anyone?  (Read 1069 times)

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
Barbacoa De Cabeza de Res anyone?
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
One of our favorite Sunday dishes is to go out for Barbacoa De Cabeza De Res  and Chilequiles. (We jam the Chilequiles in a corn tortilla with the barbacoa, it is amazing!). We've got the Chilequiles thing down pat, but I really would prefer to not dig a hole in my back yard to barbecue this thing. So the question I have is.... Is it doable on a Weber 22" kettle grill? If so, how would you go about it? I would think it would be too big but I figure folks here may have actually tried it....

Oh, for those that don't know... Barbecoa de Cabeza de Res is barbecued beef head. I know it sounds gross, but it is awesome grub...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Barbacoa De Cabeza de Res anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
Hmm, based on a few pics on the Web, thinking it will be a tight squeeze on the 22." You may be able to find a smaller calf head that could easily fit. As for technique, I've never done one but the sites I checked say low and slow. Most show the seasoned head wrapped tightly. Should be fun trying to figure it out. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
Sounds like a job for a stacker or a roti ring.
Mmmmmm, beef cheeks.......

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
Hell yeah!

One of my favorite taco joints where I used to live serves cabeza, cachete, lengua, and ojo tacos.

It doesn't sound as pleasing as "carne asada," but they were fire!

Braised and chopped super fine...pure deliciousness.

Oh, in case you were wondering "ojo" is actually the eye meat near the socket, not the eye ball itself.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
Maybe it will give you an excuse to buy a 26", stacker ring, or stacker mod, which I prefer to call the double bubble. 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »
Never considered a cow head but I've done pig and goat head ln a 22 using a weber rotisserie stacker. Very similar process just in a much smaller scale.  Next time I'll make sure to take a lot of photos.  Very basic ingredients consisting of salt, pepper, paprika.  Wrapped in banana leaves and placed in a pan with a cover.  240-270F  for 12-18 hours depending on size.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
Yup cabeza de res tacos is some good eats...if you’ve ever had beef cheeks you’re pretty much already there.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
Maybe it will give you an excuse to buy a 26", stacker ring, or stacker mod, which I prefer to call the double bubble.

My wife would KILL me....

And yeah I know, it sounds gross, and you'll never be truly prepared for the first time you see one at a Carneceria, but the outcome is danged good. I've just never done one...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Yup cabeza de res tacos is some good eats...if you’ve ever had beef cheeks you’re pretty much already there.

FWIW, yeah, beef cheek is the only part I am really interested in... If I could get that separate from a butcher, I'd be WAY a-head... okay I know bad pun...

Anyway, yes I know the concept weirds people out to no end. I grew up hunting, and helping family out doing farm work. A cows head isn't that much different than ribs or whatever....

My big issue is cow heads are huge. Yeah some sort of expander ring would likely be in order, although I think a 22.5" diameter should be fine. Veal would be better for fit...

I've seen guys do them in WSMs so I know it is doable...

Yeah, temp control is key. And making sure it is wrapped in moist banana leaves..

Maybe find a 22.5" dia tamale pot like they do with the 14" jobs making a mini WSM out of a Smokey Joe?