Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: GBS why?  (Read 2426 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: GBS why?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
I have one but i dont have any accessories for it. I could see it just being useful for vortex style cooks. I also dont have a vortex. I baught a cast iron pan with 2 small handles that fits in it for cooks but have yet to use it like that. I prefer standard grates flip or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
It will fit a 12 in Lodge pan with the double loop handles.  Also good for not ruining the center of a grate with the vortex. I do like the added thickness for using pans like my 17 Lodge skillet for frying just feels more sturdy. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
GBS why?
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
I understand from then Weber point of view that the gbs system helps to secure the inserts, which I suppose they rationalize as a safety feature.  I wish the hole was to the side as it really limits the indirect zone. 

Its heavier than the normal grate and feels sturdier. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
GBS why?
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
I use my kettles with the charcoal in the center often enough that i purchased 3 stainless 22.5" gbs at $120 each.

Comes complete with a drip pan.  Charcoal ring is a 10 gauge ventilated 304 stainless.

Only use this configuration for thicker steaks or using a wok without the center grate.  Don't even use it for wings as i prefer to cook wings etc with the stacker on.

Majority of my cooks utilizes a single or double stacker.  Allows for full use of the cooking grate. Added distance to the coals prevents most if not all flare ups while still remaining very hot throughout the cooking grate area. No wasted cooking grate space when cooking wings and so forth.
Obviously i can always remove the stacker to add coals but much more convenient through the center cut out.

When more cooking space or warming rack is required. Warming rack and main cooking grate are spaced 5" apart so everything under the warming rack are easily accessible. Could have probably left more of the tines on the warming rack.

2 stackers for added distance to the coals. Uses a bit more coal but don't have to worry about the flame reaching the cooking grate.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:07:16 PM by Jules V. »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
I picked up a comal based on your ring & am now curious about the screwheads & washers showing on yours.
I'm assuming you've basically made "feet" for it so the feet sit on the charcoal grate & the legs cause keep the main body of the pan above the grates high enough that the opening is somewhat close to the height of your circular do-hicky (I assume that is what you call the poortex vortex portion).
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
GBS why?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »
I picked up a comal based on your ring & am now curious about the screwheads & washers showing on yours.
I'm assuming you've basically made "feet" for it so the feet sit on the charcoal grate & the legs cause keep the main body of the pan above the grates high enough that the opening is somewhat close to the height of your circular do-hicky (I assume that is what you call the poortex vortex portion).
The bolts are used to attach a reinforcement ring underneath to keep it from warping. When i cut the center portion out, the comal warped slightly. Never had any warping issue on the first comal(different brand) that i turned into a drip pan. Not really an issue but i already had the part so i just decided to reinforce it. Also the maximum diameter of the comal should be 21 1/2".  Perfect size would be 19-21. If you picked up a 22" then you'll have problem getting it past the grate strap.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
Thanks.  I actually don't recall exactly what I got (at a flea market), I was measuring it a bunch of times & figured the one I got should work, but we'll see as I haven't bothered checking yet. 
regards,
Hal

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 05:38:12 AM »
I use my GBS very frequently with the cast iron center grate.  Love it....especially the crispy sear it leaves on burgers and such. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 06:27:07 AM »
I love my GBS. One, I like the heavier gauge grates. Also, I do caveman steaks frequently. The hole in the center is super useful to lay a steak on coals while having a potato or ear of corn cooking on around the perimeter.

Also, I do chicken parts very frequently and I always have a poortex or the baskets heaping full of lump that would normally not fit under a standard grate. Then, once it cooks down a bit, I’ll replace the center ring and cook some veggies.

I never hang my grate on my grill handle. Instead, it’s always leaning against the post of my grilling station.

To me, a GBS is a must-have. But as with any tool, it is only valuable of it is properly used.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »
I use the GBS grate with my Vortex to cook wings.  This is the only thing I cook on my Kettle anymore.