Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometers  (Read 580 times)

joel.borovsky

• Smokey Joe
Thermometers
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »
Hey all, I'm still fairly new to the world of BBQ. I have a wsm 18 and a performer deluxe and am looking to get a thermometer to monitor cooks. I was thinking about something that is a leave in probe, wireless, and has a few probes. Also, I don't want to spend a fortune. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Thermometers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
Thermoworks Smoke.

$99 retail. Occasionally can be had on sale from $74-84.

I use it on every single cook. A good thermometer is one of the best investments you can make as a cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
When I tried to post my comment I got the "Warning, while you were typing a new reply has been posted". Mike beat me to it.

A "fortune" is a relative term.  I think the Thermoworks Smoke is fantastic ($99). Several times a year Thermoworks has a 20% off sitewide sale that gets posted here on the Forum.  If you sign up for emails from Thermoworks, you will get an email notification of any sales. 

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Only thing I would add is a Thermapen is also a very useful and needed tool in addition to the Smoke.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »
What they said.  Nothing improved my cooking more than good thermometers. The sale price on the smoke is just a couple good pieces of meat saved from screwing up.  And it is built like a tank.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Thermometers
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:41 PM »
The sale price on the smoke is just a couple good pieces of meat saved from screwing up. 

That’s an excellent way to put it. Or rather, it will keep you from screwing it up so it’s a savings right there.

One time I was going to do an overnight cook on a brisket. I opted for early in the morning instead (my wife is weird about unattended fires). Long story short, the full packer didn’t stall. If I didn’t have a thermometer that one would have been ruined for sure. Good news is we ate much earlier than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app