Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 1207 times)

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
Vortex
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
I’ve read a few reviews of different Vortex devices saying they’ve had to swap their grill for a gbs Type where you can remove the centre piece.
Apparently the high heat is damaging the grill. Is this really possible??
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:44:15 PM by AgentSmith »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:05:48 AM »
I normally only come across truly roached, threadbare cook grates on the smaller used Webers. I guess they sit longer around moisture and have less frequent usage?

Point being, nickel-plated cook grates will always rust due to heat and moisture. Concentrated heat is what the Vortex supplies. That's not to say the center would get destroyed right away, but I'd expect the center to be worn sooner.

As an alternative to buying a GBS, you could be on the lookout for any sales of regular cook grates (or grills) and just consider them sacrificial.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:34:42 AM »
I used my vortex for a while on my 26.75 (with SS cooking grate) and I will say that after nearly a year the heat has discolored it considerably right above the fire area. It’s not rust, but nowhere near as shiny as the other part of the grate.

I would say a normal plated grate would be toast. That said, a few cooks won’t hurt, but if you plan on parking your vortex in your cooker for a long period of time, consider a GBS grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:40:45 AM »
I use my SToK CI grate (removable center) with my Vortex. Works wonderful!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
If I ever cooked on my 22 I would definitely invest in the GBS.  In fact that's the main reason I wish Weber would make one for the 26er.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
This is currently my setup, #8843 outer ring grate with #7585 searing grate.

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
Vortex
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:12:12 AM »
My first attempt with the vortex made some wings
I used Nando’s Hot rub an covered them with Reds True BBQ Devil wing sauce
Didn’t go as crispy as everyone said. Tasted pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:13:59 AM by AgentSmith »