Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Aluminum charcoal grate  (Read 1875 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Aluminum charcoal grate
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  If I go with the aluminum I'll keep you updated.  I just figured the grate would not rust in my Weber's and always looking to try something that might work better.  The stock Weber grates are cheap but rust and same with the aluminized steel ones from Old Smokey.

If a rusty charcoal grate a practical problem, know that they will last for many years, even deformed. (And you can extend their life by flipping them over every so often, or step on them while hot with a 2x4 to help flatten.) And after all that, they're still cheap to replace.

At the risk of assuming here, I suspect it's a cosmetic objection. But aluminum will not look quite right after its first usage. It'll probably hold up to the heat if it is thick enough, but then costs rise. If the supporting grate strap has any rust on it, the iron will react with the aluminum and begin corrosion there. Humidity will eventually attack it and begin pitting. That's aluminum's version of "rust" (which is technically only an iron / steel issue).

My position here is not that it can't be a good charcoal grate; I have no clue. But I'd wager it's not a "better" grate overall. Different? Sure! Go for it and let us know!

And again, that Killa Grilla 304 SS charcoal grate is the only solution that ticks all the boxes except initial cost.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Aluminum charcoal grate
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
Isn't aluminum suspect in brain disorders? Seems I read that somewhere. I prefer stainless in cooking pans, so prabably have a buildup of chromium in my system.
Oh never mind , you said charcoal grate.

Weber char baskets are aluminized.
That has been disproven.

Link?
I had been researching aluminum in relation to dry herb vaporizers and the Alzheimers fear is strong. The supporting evidence seemed to match the arguments and I didn't see any clear proven winner.
http://alzheimer.ca/en/Home/About-dementia/Alzheimer-s-disease/Risk-factors/Aluminum

Thanks!!