Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can't wait to get my CB door!  (Read 6651 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 06:09:30 AM »
Very impressed with the quality of both the SouthCo latch and with the SS door. Gonna crank up my WSM today and learn how to use it again with the new pieces in place.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »
Mine should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 07:03:42 AM »
Mine is coming today. Hopefully I can throw it on mid smoke - i put a butt on about 3 hours ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
Mine came, I installed it. There was no leakage at all. Cooker maintained a temp of 235 degrees for 5 1/2 hours on a half bag of kbb and there are still some left, not much but some. Also I shut all vents and 35 min later it was cool enough to take it all apart. Completely satisfied..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
Nice! I have my new tight, but not super tight and there's a wisp from the upper left and a visible gap. Not sure if I want to tighten it any more?

On my second cook today. 4 leg quarters direct on the upper grate, with hickory lump fired by some KBB. No clue about temp. Hot but not very hot.

I'm tempted to get some nomex for the leaky lid and drill holes for a second lid vent for some of these higher-heat experiments.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »
Got mine in and im pretty disappointed- pretty large gap on the right side. Haven't used it yet, but I think it will leak quite a bit.

Cant decide if my WSM shape or the door is the issue.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »
That's odd. Maybe your opening got pushed in somehow. That SS door is kinda hard to bend. Put it on a flat surface and take a look.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Can't wait to get my CB door!
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 03:28:11 AM »
Take a picture when you get a chance. Mine had small gaps at both upper corners and I was disappointed as well until I used it the first time. Just a couple wisps of smoke but it resolves all the issues I was having with maintaining temp and shutting down.  So in the end, it did exactly what I bought it for and I’m very happy with it. One of the few worthwhile gadgets I’ve bought.

Try it out and take some pictures and report back when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 03:29:30 AM »

Mine came, I installed it. There was no leakage at all. Cooker maintained a temp of 235 degrees for 5 1/2 hours on a half bag of kbb and there are still some left, not much but some. Also I shut all vents and 35 min later it was cool enough to take it all apart. Completely satisfied..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

[emoji106]

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »
Take a picture when you get a chance. Mine had small gaps at both upper corners and I was disappointed as well until I used it the first time. Just a couple wisps of smoke but it resolves all the issues I was having with maintaining temp and shutting down.  So in the end, it did exactly what I bought it for and I’m very happy with it. One of the few worthwhile gadgets I’ve bought.

Try it out and take some pictures and report back when you can.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Hmm, more gap than mine has for sure. Can the door be bent in more?

I'm not engineer but is seems to me one possible reason for this is that the bottom and top of the opening isn't on the same plane somehow, like one is squished in (technical term.)

In other words if the latch has to pull the center of the door in a lot, its sides could bow out?

Perhaps a ruler or straight edge could answer that.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »
Here is mine for comparisons sake.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
As you can see. Grease will build up and seal the door. The very outside corners will leak a little for awhile. I can’t tell if yours is the same as mine or not.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
I’ve had the door a year I think.