Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fun with the Ranch Kettle  (Read 5574 times)

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
Re: Fun with the Ranch Kettle
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
Nice looking food. I just recently got a ranch, and my first attempt at using it the temp got a little out of hand due to two bottom vents being bent out of shape and not fitting well (ordered some new ones - should arrive soon). You have any pointers on keeping the bottom vents from clogging with ash. I assume you can build the fire to straddle two of the bottom vents. Any pointers on temp control are welcome.

The only thing that I noticed reduces the ash clogging is to use lump charcoal and like you mentioned, build the fire away from the vents.  I haven't tried smoking on it yet so my vents stay 1/2 open my entire cook. I start with two chimneys of hot coals.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Fun with the Ranch Kettle
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »
Nice looking food. I just recently got a ranch, and my first attempt at using it the temp got a little out of hand due to two bottom vents being bent out of shape and not fitting well (ordered some new ones - should arrive soon). You have any pointers on keeping the bottom vents from clogging with ash. I assume you can build the fire to straddle two of the bottom vents. Any pointers on temp control are welcome.

The only thing that I noticed reduces the ash clogging is to use lump charcoal and like you mentioned, build the fire away from the vents.  I haven't tried smoking on it yet so my vents stay 1/2 open my entire cook. I start with two chimneys of hot coals.

Thanks for tips - will fire it up once I get the new dampers.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
Just saw this thread!  :o Fantastic food Philly! Nobodys going to say you don't use your grills.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
It all looks great! You leave that party hungry it's your own fault!  8)

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
I love the briskeys in the back ground.

That's what I want! Heck with the stuff on the ranch. lol

wolgast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
Jar dropping mate!