Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking grate recommenation  (Read 3502 times)

rbussard

• Happy Cooker
Cooking grate recommenation
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:48:57 AM »
Picked up a SSP a couple days ago and need to purchase a new grilling grate due to rust issues and extreme thinning of the original grate. Should I stay with the hinged cooking grate or move up to the hinged barbecue system with removable center?

No experience with either, so I am looking for any feedback if the change is warranted. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cooking grate recommenation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:58:54 AM »
for me I would look at the hinged grate from KillaGrilla more expensive but well worth the investment
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »
This ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
I seen some home depots or Lowe's had the removable center grates(gbs or gourmet grate) on clearance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Text @ 419-619-6379

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:52:04 AM »
Get the KillaGrilla.  Stainless Steel.  Last grate you will need.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:08 AM »
KillaGrilla looks like a good replacement... I don't own one, only because they don't offer the "gourmet" version. If they offered it, I'd be on it like stink on a skunk! 8) I like Weber's Gourmet grill system with the removable center section, especially when using the Vortex. That is my go to grate. Very versatile and affordable. Fits all my needs.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »
Haven't had a chance to use them but
we picked up a couple of the STOK CI grates
from Direct Tools for $15 each.
Relatively heavy with the removable center
Can't wait to give them a try on one of the 22's.

Also grabbed the SS veggie basket for $9 and 2 of
the grabbers that remove the center grate
and accessories for $5 each.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
I got the EasySpin Grate from Adrenaline Barbecue Company and love it.  Not quite as heavy as the Weber GBS but well made, cleans up great, and I love being able to remove the hinged side for slow-n-low cooks.  I have not seen or used a Killa Grilla grate so I can't speak to that, but my Weber GBS grates are holding up very well.  The hinged grates on both sides and the removable center all have their uses, and the add ons you can get for it a great.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-cooking-grate/

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
Haven't had a chance to use them but
we picked up a couple of the STOK CI grates
from Direct Tools for $15 each.
Relatively heavy with the removable center
Can't wait to give them a try on one of the 22's.

Also grabbed the SS veggie basket for $9 and 2 of
the grabbers that remove the center grate
and accessories for $5 each.

I also have this StoK grate. Nice grate also. I got the optional CI DO that fits in the center, which is very handy for soups, stews, ragus, etc.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:27:33 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
KillaGrilla looks like a good replacement... I don't own one, only because they don't offer the "gourmet" version. If they offered it, I'd be on it like stink on a skunk! 8)

Same here. I emailed the owner and he said a ss gbs version is a product they're currently considering. Maybe more requests will finally convince them?

Ken/Washington

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
Love my Craycort CI...

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
+1 for the Weber SS grates.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
I have four of the grates mentioned above.  Killa Grilla, ABC Barbecue Easy Spin, Weber SS grate and Weber GBS.  My favorite and most used is the Killa Grilla SS 2 door grate.  The look is impressive and they are easier to clean because of the larger diameter rods used in their construction.  It spins freely just like the ABC Easy Spin.  I use the Weber GBS CI sear plate accessory by placing it on top of the Killa Grilla grate.  Gives me the same results as when used on the GBS grate.   

Here is a comparison review on the Killa Grilla SS grate and the Weber GBS grate.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/product-reviews/killagrilla-heavy-duty-flip-up-grates-(304-ss)/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

rbussard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:50:51 AM »
Thanks for all the grate recommendations. I was at my local HD yesterday and they had the GBS grate on sale for $8.54 as opposed to normally $35!! So I picked it up and did my first grill last night on the new SSP with roasted baby yukon gold potatoes, sauteed whole baby bella mushrooms, and 2 ribeyes to finish it off. Worked grate!! (Pun intended)

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 05:18:30 AM »
KillaGrilla looks like a good replacement... I don't own one, only because they don't offer the "gourmet" version. If they offered it, I'd be on it like stink on a skunk! 8) I like Weber's Gourmet grill system with the removable center section, especially when using the Vortex. That is my go to grate. Very versatile and affordable. Fits all my needs.

Same thing. I really like the gourmet grill grate.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!