Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: performer ash catchers  (Read 2645 times)

rober

• Smokey Joe
performer ash catchers
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:12:48 AM »
not a rant, just curious...........does anyone else find the older twist off ash catchers easier to use than the newer squeeze handles?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: performer ash catchers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »
not a rant, just curious...........does anyone else find the older twist off ash catchers easier to use than the newer squeeze handles?

Not after you get used to the new style.  So much easier to not have to twist in my opinion.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:45:38 AM »
I have grills both styles.  I do prefer the newer style as well.
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 06:03:21 AM »

i have both.  neither are perfect.  i once preferred the twist-on after using it for 13+ years by the time i received the newer squeeze handle.  now after using the new style enough, they're both the same to me.....no preference.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:05:23 AM »

does anyone else find the older twist off ash catchers easier to use than the newer squeeze handles?

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
Yes, the older twist off are superior to the new squeeze handle design.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

noles2g

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »
Do not like the new style

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
I prefer the new ones.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »
new squeeze style seems to work better for me. i am tall so it's hard to bend down there as it is, and when an old style twist ring / bowl get a little tweaked, it can prove difficult for me.

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »
maybe this will break in some over time. I have a pretty good grip but 45 years of construction, working up firewood, etc, & being on the threshold of geezer-hood my hands are getting pretty arthritic making the twist off a better choice for me.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
new squeeze style seems to work better for me. i am tall so it's hard to bend down there as it is, and when an old style twist ring / bowl get a little tweaked, it can prove difficult for me.

I'm a short guy so the bending over isn't a big deal but i agree with you about the ring/bowl getting a little out of whack then the twist on system being a bit annoying. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Campwhatnot

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
I have both and also prefer the new style

Sent from my SM-G955W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
I prefer the look and built quality of the squeeze- on ash catcher  but find the older type to be easier to use but with a catch. The ash catcher that weber used just before the transition to the current ones are of lower quality than the older versions. The ring and ash pan were flimsier and therefore easily prone to being bent out of shape. Also  on the older version, the ring is slightly larger in relative to the ash pan making it much easier to install/ remove. 
If using a kettle with a table, try installing the handle under the bale side.  All 7 of my grills are performers  and i have the ash catchers installed as such. I find it much easier to manipulate.

JV

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
I have had both types and ended up putting my 2011 twister onto my new 2015 MT. I like the black pan with flat bottom and the twist works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
I prefer the look and built quality of the squeeze- on ash catcher  but find the older type to be easier to use but with a catch. The ash catcher that weber used just before the transition to the current ones are of lower quality than the older versions. The ring and ash pan were flimsier and therefore easily prone to being bent out of shape. Also  on the older version, the ring is slightly larger in relative to the ash pan making it much easier to install/ remove. 
If using a kettle with a table, try installing the handle under the bale side.  All 7 of my grills are performers  and i have the ash catchers installed as such. I find it much easier to manipulate.

JV

That makes so much sense!  Half the time I have to take some baskets or other grilling accessories out from under my performers so I can get the ash pan in and out.