Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wsm ribs direct  (Read 3180 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Wsm ribs direct
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:32:55 AM »
Ok I  have read too many posts about hanging ribs in a WSM and I want to try it.  Mine is an 18 and I do not have a hanging rack. But I was thinking if I was to put them in a traditional rib rack on the top grate and run without a water pan so the juices drip on the coals it might be similar to hanging ribs. My question is should I use lump or briquettes for this method? Do I start my coals in a snake formation? Or do I just do a pile with a dozen or so lit ones in the middle like I would normally do smoking a brisket or a shoulder?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:46:50 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Wsm ribs direct
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
I’ve done a lot of direct cooking both at home and for contests. The flavor is amazing. I would definitely use lump and a couple of wood chunks to get the best flavor. Also consider a small water pan, something that when pushed to the edge of the smoker covers a third or up to a half of the lower grate. Every half hour rotate the top rack 180 degrees to give half the ribs a rest from the direct heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:02:23 AM »
I have my ribs trimmed, silver skin removed and rubbed down with some Hogs in heat that my secret santa sent. Going to skewer them into circles I think.

Rub, thank you for the advice. The water pan you suggested. Was it full of water or empty? My guess is with water, but I want to be sure. I'll use lump. For the wood I have oak, cherry, apple, mesquite, maple and hickory chunks. Any preferences?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
I have my ribs trimmed, silver skin removed and rubbed down with some Hogs in heat that my secret santa sent. Going to skewer them into circles I think.

Rub, thank you for the advice. The water pan you suggested. Was it full of water or empty? My guess is with water, but I want to be sure. I'll use lump. For the wood I have oak, cherry, apple, mesquite, maple and hickory chunks. Any preferences?
I'd make the pan mostly full of water. I'm not a fan of rolling ribs but if you need to go for it.

With your wood choices I would use light to medium hickory smoke. Cherry is nice but it's very easy to over do it and get them too dark. Oak is in the same flavor profile as hickory but more strong. I don't know if apple would give enough smoke flavor. Maple is mild, and mesquite no thank you. My all time favorite is pecan. Pictures when you can please ;)
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
The empty ring with small stainless cone in the center.

Loaded up with hickory chunks.

Loaded up some more lump.

Is this a good idea or should I pull the cone and smear it around in a pile?
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
I’d pull the cone. KISS

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
Cone has been pulled.

Thanks for the advice Rub.🙋
It's nice to have an experts opinion.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
Fire is lit

Water pan is in.

Ribs are ready to go in.

I tied and skewered them.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Here we go
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
With that configuration I'd rotate them 1/3 turn every half hour. Give each rack a 30 min rest every hour. Looks tasty!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
1 hr in.
240° of rotation so far

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
After 720° of rotation or 3 hrs of rotating 120° every half hour.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
The ribs turned out great.
My wife and kids loved them.
Definitely adds a different flavor profile.
But I'm not sure I like the way my Wsm smells now.
Before it smelled like oak and hickory😊
Now it smells like grease fire😩
Gonna have to light it up tomorrow and smoke it back up
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
They look good! Yes it will change the way your pit smells, and it is more messy than traditional smoking. But that old fashioned real pit flavor makes it more than worth it to me.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Wsm ribs direct
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 11:36:02 PM »
Looks good. Been curious and looking to seeing how it would taste to hang ribs in the 18” WSM too. Weber had a kit #7472 but cant find it anywhere. Maybe it’s discontinued because it was mainly marketed for fish which I understand you never want to use in your WSM because it’ll ruin the seasoning.

Gateway Drum Smokers does have a hanging kit for their 30 gal drums that looks like it will work on the 18 WSM too.
https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm