Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Baby Back Maniac red kettle update  (Read 5155 times)

TD

• WKC Brave
Re: Baby Back Maniac red kettle update
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:11 AM »
Got to be the gasket not sealing. Is it not thick enough? If Weber's OEM gasket isn't doing the job maybe consider the alternatives. In the case of the bare metal in the leg sockets do these things rust through from the outside? Weber has long had an issue with bare metal rusting under the handle welds and under grate straps. Weber considers these grills consumable. They even used the word as key to date code new kettles (don't know how LE kettles got their code). The guaranty is for rust-through. Maybe if a welded handle or leg socket fell of due to rusting. If you are a collector and want to Keep your kettles nice you probably don't leave wet ashes in them or store them in the weather. What if a chunk of porcelain falls off? Maybe they would cover that? Oh, and I left a small area unsealed when I put lava lock on my performer lid just so I could see that Wisp of smoke. It is how I know My top vent is set right.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:37:32 AM by TD »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Baby Back Maniac red kettle update
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 06:47:03 AM »
and I guess I get one more round with Weber Customer Support.  I put together my Copper Premium yesterday with the new non-dented lid, and didn't notice some missing porcelain where the front bowl handle meets the bowl.  Kind of a bummer to get it all together then notice it, but I know Weber will make it right.  It's not like it's my only grill so it's really not a big deal as long as weber makes it right.

Ouch
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »
It was this site and facebook that caused him to take a second look at his kettle.  His first thoughts were all positive and then because of the members here complaining about issues he took a closer look and did not like what he saw and returned it.

It would be nice like Matt said if the everyday Joes were treated a little better and not just the people at the top. But if we don't like it then I guess we should start making videos and put in the work.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
I did get a Weber temperature gauge in the mail.  So I guess my CS rep felt bad for me and sent one out.  I'm sure his hands were tied on what he could do on the kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
On an unrelated topic, this video should have been less than 5 minutes long. I’m not sure why a lot of the bbq youtubers make such long videos. If I click on a video and it’s over 10 minutes, I won’t bother watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 07:43:42 AM »
...Most viewers and readers can tell who is a shill and who is not.

And so everyone else is just what, a sucker?

The fact that some reviewers could remain unbiased is pretty good evidence that gifts make some biased. That is why you don't accept them, so that there's no question hanging in the air and that viewers don't have to guess or waste time watching and figuring it out ... assuming they can.

As I said, I respect Justin but it's also true he got special treatment here. That alone should clue anyone is about what's "fair" and "just."

Gifts are not "income" where the product of work is integrity.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
I like Justin's videos too and find his channel entertaining so no disrespect here. On the other hand, becoming a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center owner has changed my opinion on some of his feedback on this grill.

Curious - is anyone else experiencing smoke leakage with the Summit or only Justin? After seeing his video and purchasing my SCGC, I made sure to get one in a factory fresh box versus assembled and carefully then assemble it myself paying attention to the seal. I was an ASE Master tech many years ago so i tend to assemble everything that i can anyway.

I am in the zero leak club and this is what i noticed.... First of all, my hinge had slotted bolt holes and allowed for a small amount of lateral movement. I made sure that the lid was nice and centered over the bowl before locking everything down. My SCGC is brand new so i don't know if this is the same, original hinge design or if it is possible that i somehow got the updated hinge that Justin speaks of via a production run change. Either way, i did get some adjustment, made to center it when going together and have no leaks. I feel like if i had to make any more adjustments that i could have just gotten out the Dremmel or pneumatic die grinder and slotted the hinge holes a little more. Should not have to do that, though.

The other thing i noticed about the gasket is that it seems to be identical to the type of gasket (complete with the same push clips) that is on the GE electric oven in the kitchen. Another thing i would experiment with if i had a stubborn leak would be perhaps be to cut a small slit into the gasket and insert a thin piece of gasket inside of it to bulk it up for a better seal. I don't remember if Justin said that the push pins are falling out of the gasket but I feel like you could bend those a tad to make them fit more tightly if you had to.

I do get a tiny leak when i am using pit and meat probes inside. The leak is where i run the cables through but goes away when they are gone. What i am thinking to do here is to instead run the cables around the back of the SC and hinge and route the cable across the bowl at the point where the two ends of the seal come together and poke back into the lid. There is a tiny notch there in the seal.

It would be great to better understand why Justin's is leaking at the front like that and where the misalignment is. It would also be great to get a look at the updated hinge if/when it materializes and what additional adjustment it provides.

It is actually in his Kadado Joe model update video that he talks about a new problem that i don't think he mentioned in the Summit 1 year follow up. He unfairly (IMHO) lumps the SC in the same group as other Kamados that do exhibit the issue that he talks about. The summit's temperature setting won't actually change when you open the lid. Yes the whole door flips down but just flip it back up. It's not like the setting changed. Coincidentally, the same "problem with other kamado grills" is also highlighted in the Kamado Joe marketing video.

Justin also took issue with the wheels on the SC/SGGC. I suppose that's personal opinion because i don't see a problem with them at all. They do what they are supposed to do and i can't imagine what i would replace them with that might not result in a downgrade in function in order to get better looks. I can push the SCGC accross my lawn and the wheels seem to be made of a dual compound where the rim itself is a durable plastic and the tire is a hard rubber compound. I think that pneumatic tires would be a downgrade for most folks because that would make the grill too shaky (IMHO) and require higher maintenance. I saw the nice wheels on those Rec Tec pellet smokers and those just look like wheels off of one of my kids' scooters. The smooth operation of ball bearings might be nice to have.

As far as his comments on the leg mounts, I am a long time kettle fan so those don't bother me. If you look carefully at a snake, you can still see on some species where the legs used to be back when they still had legs.

For me (and I am in software Technical Marketing), Justin didn't really qualify the "it's a 1.0 product" statement very well beyond taking issue with the wheels and leg mounts. I know what a "1.0" product is in terms of computer hardware and software as well as new car models. I would agree that it is a ".0" product but seeing as how it is still a kettle and we are talking about Weber here this is probably more like a "Kettle 5.0" product or something and coming an experienced company.

The only issue i have had with my SCGC is that the thermostat had condensation in it since the first cook and it did not go away. It was promptly replaced and i have had zero issues since. Weber customer service has gone above and beyond with all of my other Weber products.

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

I think Weber knew they have to do something to get word out on how they are handling all of the problems with this Red LE.  Putting out a statement on their own social media would probably turn off a lot of people who aren't the Weber enthusiasts that we are and are maybe looking at purchasing their first kettle.  I think Justin was a good choice for getting the message out, and while I would surely appreciate a free grill, Weber Support has been amazing the last week and a half to resolve some issues I am having with other grills.  Justin's video has been posted here and on multiple Kettlehead facebook groups, so the message Weber wanted us to know has made it to all of us who have been waiting for some sort of official response from Weber.  I think the overall message from Weber in Justin's video is that Weber is going to make it right, and from what I've seen so far, that is the absolute truth.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:10 AM »
I disagree about this bias. I hear about it often, and I certainly see cases of it.... but blanketing isn’t accurate. Some people are capable of remaining objective.

We'll have to agree to disagree Troy. Presuming the proper disclosures are used in whatever form the review is made public, (blogs, forums, twitter, facebook etc. see the FTC guidance in the link below) the perception of the author's objectivity among readers (or viewers, or listeners) will naturally be biased. That is, they will think about the review differently than if the author purchased, or rented, or sampled the product in isolation of the "gift" factor. The authors (recipients of the gift) themselves may feel free to be totally honest and write or film what they believe is an unbiased review, but the fact they have to disclaim the "gift" as a notice to their audience changes the tenor of the review itself. It has to. It doesn't matter if they like it or not, or if the review is complimentary or a scathing tear down. Audiences, knowing that the author was gifted the product to review, adds a layer of doubt, or uncertainty, or questions of credibility, or outright disbelief that the review captures a truly meaningful analysis of the product in question.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking#disclose

Marty

Retired

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
I disagree about this bias. I hear about it often, and I certainly see cases of it.... but blanketing isn’t accurate. Some people are capable of remaining objective.

We'll have to agree to disagree Troy. Presuming the proper disclosures are used in whatever form the review is made public, (blogs, forums, twitter, facebook etc. see the FTC guidance in the link below) the perception of the author's objectivity among readers (or viewers, or listeners) will naturally be biased. That is, they will think about the review differently than if the author purchased, or rented, or sampled the product in isolation of the "gift" factor. The authors (recipients of the gift) themselves may feel free to be totally honest and write or film what they believe is an unbiased review, but the fact they have to disclaim the "gift" as a notice to their audience changes the tenor of the review itself. It has to. It doesn't matter if they like it or not, or if the review is complimentary or a scathing tear down. Audiences, knowing that the author was gifted the product to review, adds a layer of doubt, or uncertainty, or questions of credibility, or outright disbelief that the review captures a truly meaningful analysis of the product in question.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking#disclose

Marty

That's the beauty of it all right, we can all have different opinions and perspectives and still get along like one big happy family.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
The best tool in any reviewer's arsenal is the ability to resist unnecessary outside influence.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
and I guess I get one more round with Weber Customer Support.  I put together my Copper Premium yesterday with the new non-dented lid, and didn't notice some missing porcelain where the front bowl handle meets the bowl.  Kind of a bummer to get it all together then notice it, but I know Weber will make it right.  It's not like it's my only grill so it's really not a big deal as long as weber makes it right.

Ouch

New bowl is on its way.  John at Weber Support has been absolutely awesome!

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
I just got off the phone with Weber Customer Service and it was clear the person I was dealing with was completely clueless.  Long story short, I ordered replacement part #7444 from Amazon.  It arrived, but missing a piece - the small "H" washer.  I figured rather than returning everything back to Amazon and ordering another one, I'd call Weber and see if they could send me the missing piece.  After 20 minutes going round and round with the clueless CS person, emailing here pictures, trying to explain to her that I did NOT buy a new grill that was missing a part, but it was replacement part that was missing a piece, she finally stopped trying to figure out what model grill I had and told me that they don't have the separate pieces to send out - I needed to buy a whole new kit.  I could tell from the first 10 seconds of the call that the CS person was not familiar with Weber products. 

Anyhow, I just returned and reordered from Amazon.  No real hassle with Amazon returns, but the customer service department could probably use some more training.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
I officially took back my home Depot LE Red the other day. It was a mixture of finding a brand new in the box red 1991 and the missing leg socket paint (bare metal, not black). My 1991 sockets are 98% covered in red and the other part in black. My LE had silver.. not a hint of anything. I am a sucker for a nice collectors/ limited edition thing so maybe in a couple months in the spring I will reevaluate a purchase.  In my area the grills are all put up in topstock and not displayed at all.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
I just got off the phone with Weber Customer Service and it was clear the person I was dealing with was completely clueless.  Long story short, I ordered replacement part #7444 from Amazon.  It arrived, but missing a piece - the small "H" washer.  I figured rather than returning everything back to Amazon and ordering another one, I'd call Weber and see if they could send me the missing piece.  After 20 minutes going round and round with the clueless CS person, emailing here pictures, trying to explain to her that I did NOT buy a new grill that was missing a part, but it was replacement part that was missing a piece, she finally stopped trying to figure out what model grill I had and told me that they don't have the separate pieces to send out - I needed to buy a whole new kit.  I could tell from the first 10 seconds of the call that the CS person was not familiar with Weber products. 

Anyhow, I just returned and reordered from Amazon.  No real hassle with Amazon returns, but the customer service department could probably use some more training.
Fwiw,  I'm pretty sure that the CSR was correct.   While it's a single identifiable piece, it's not a single part to Weber.  It only comes as part of the kit.  Sima thing would probably happen if you tried to get a single fin replaced as it doesn't look Iike it has an individual  part number either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk