Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Safest way to travel with kettles?  (Read 1389 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Safest way to travel with kettles?
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm travelling from FL to the 'holler in Lynchburg next week for a little BBQ get-together. I'm going to take a couple of my favorite grills to grill some steaks and sides on while there. I don't ever travel with my special ones so I'm asking about the safest way to pack these for the 1,300 mile round trip. I don't want to add any more chips to either. I'd prefer not to have to break them down and re-box like for shipping. Thanks for any proven methods. These are the ones I'm taking:

FullSizeRender172.jpg" border="0

20170523_202701.jpg" border="0
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Safest way to travel with kettles?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
I'd say it depends on how much space you have.  Can you leave the legs on? I like to put them upside down with the lid nested in the bowl and a towel in between. 

So from car flooring up I do: Grates in a garbage bag --> ash pan --> towel --> lid with handle up --> towel or two --> bowl with legs attached.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:24:43 AM »
In the past I've used foam pipe insulation around the rims of the bowl and lid.
short sections on the handles on both as well.
@Neil-VT00 way is probably the most compact
short of disassembly.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »
I'd say it depends on how much space you have.  Can you leave the legs on? I like to put them upside down with the lid nested in the bowl and a towel in between. 

So from car flooring up I do: Grates in a garbage bag --> ash pan --> towel --> lid with handle up --> towel or two --> bowl with legs attached.
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »
Thanks guys sounds like a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
In the event of a traffic accident, you might take additional precautions to prevent damage to your grill by surrounding your car with polyurethane foam. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »

^^^^
This is the way to do it

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
I saw @Jeff leave a Chicago meetup with twelve or fifteen Kettles wheeled inside of a trailer it seemed could fit a car.....he had the lids on the Kettles with nothing tied down...not the lids or the Kettles. He said he had gotten there like that and would be sure and drive safe. You ever see shots of Jeff's collection......balls of steel I say.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »
I saw @Jeff leave a Chicago meetup with twelve or fifteen Kettles wheeled inside of a trailer it seemed could fit a car.....he had the lids on the Kettles with nothing tied down...not the lids or the Kettles. He said he had gotten there like that and would be sure and drive safe. You ever see shots of Jeff's collection......balls of steel I say.
Only pictures of it but there is no F#(K1N way I would try to pull that off with any one of his kettles, let alone a number of them. Damn.

I'm going to do a combo of the ideas above. I picked up some foam tubing today for the rims, then will stack them like Neil and the guys said. They'll be back in my cook trailer and hopefully they'll stay put.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
This is my favorit grill of the year. Every time i see it, my kettle heart starts to pump very high.
Love it ;-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:17 AM »

This is my favorit grill of the year. Every time i see it, my kettle heart starts to pump very high.
Love it ;-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Thanks brother, I like to hear that [emoji106]