Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Home made Vortex-how thin?  (Read 3113 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Home made Vortex-how thin?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 05:25:30 AM »
The reason I bought the STOK stuff was for the cast iron grate. The "vortex" just happened to be there. Of course the vortex isn't needed for high temps. It's just another in a long line of gadgets that are fun to have but not necessary in order to make great food, imo.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
New, bigger Poor-tex did the trick.  Dome temps over 500, and nice, crispy chicken and oven fries.

[attachment deleted by admin]

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
Like it!
Where did you pick up the bowl?

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
Wal-Mart.  Very easy to drill a hole then use tin snips.  A bowl with more slope to the sides would be nicer-the top is nearly as wide as the bottom. 

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 12:46:20 PM »
The real deal...

Just go get the original. It will outlast and out perform anything you can fab from kitchenware. Just sayin'... :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
Without a doubt!
Jus' playin'with the cake pans while I roll
some change.  That's usually how I get
to buy my toy's toys.
We'll spring for the good stuff for cookers
but it's up to me to either save up for
accessories or fab them myself.

Savin' up for a Vortex or 2, a SnS for the 26
and a drip griddle thingy.
Also want replace all cook grates with SS.
Buying the plated grates is a waste of funds longterm.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Home made Vortex-how thin?
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
No poortex or vortex needed for high temps. If a vortex does get hotter I will buy one but I haven't seen anything convincing yet.

This was all leftover used coal. Weber and royal oak. Fresh kbb would have been a little hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Just have to agree with you. Vortex or poortex doesn't necessarily make the temperature higher. You can use the weber holder or any other charcoal holder and you'll basically get the same temperature reading at the thermometer.  The temperature reads much higher because the heat is concentrated in the middle and depending on the amount of charcoal used, the heat source is much closer to the thermometer.  The heat rises to the top middle of the lid and flows down around the perimeter toward the grate area.  The shape of the lid naturally creates a convection heat regardless of the type of charcoal holder.  Obviously the hottest portion is around the handle area and this is when you wish you have a taco.
I use 3 different height of charcoal holder.  5,6 and 7" with a diameter of 10". I use the 7"primarily in a Caliente  or Weber stacker but also can be used without a stacker as shown below.

JV
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:18:23 PM by Jules V. »