Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Random thoughts on charcoal  (Read 3906 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Random thoughts on charcoal
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
I don't know if it's known here at the WKC or not. But for one of the most in depth lump review sites and databases, check out The Naked Whiz . Tons of info.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »

I don't know if it's known here at the WKC or not. But for one of the most in depth lump review sites and databases, check out The Naked Whiz . Tons of info.

I second that

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
Jus cracked open the Weber charcoal for the first time tonight. My go to fuels are Weber and Stubbs. They got it right. Burns super hot and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »
I buy KBB on sale but prefer hardwood briquets. I find the random bag of Royal Oak briquets good but not much different from KBB. Can't afford lump to use it regularly.

When I lived near Publix grocery stores I bought 8.3lb bags of Barbecue Wood Flavors' brand Hardwood Briquets for about $6 or so. Start easy, burn hot, not a ton of ash. Resealable bag.

They make various kinds of charcoal for lots of brands. Google implies that particular bag was most recently marketed under the Nature's Grilling brand, which doesn't seem to be around anymore. This is what it looked like, only with the Nature's Grilling logo. The rest of the artwork is identical:

https://www.bbqwf.com
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
Someone came to the back of my house to make sure my house wasn't on fire the first (and only) time I have used it. I was lighting 2 chimneys and the smoke was unreal.

Ha. I had a neighbor from down the street walking his dogs a few years ago knock on my front door and very politely say "I think your house is on fire."  :D

Ken/Washington

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »
Jus cracked open the Weber charcoal for the first time tonight. My go to fuels are Weber and Stubbs. They got it right. Burns super hot and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just tried Weber also... I'm with you. I'm also fortunate to have a crazy assortment of hard woods to smoke with... All seem to "gel" with these charcoals! [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »

I buy KBB on sale but prefer hardwood briquets. I find the random bag of Royal Oak briquets good but not much different from KBB. Can't afford lump to use it regularly.

When I lived near Publix grocery stores I bought 8.3lb bags of Barbecue Wood Flavors' brand Hardwood Briquets for about $6 or so. Start easy, burn hot, not a ton of ash. Resealable bag.

They make various kinds of charcoal for lots of brands. Google implies that particular bag was most recently marketed under the Nature's Grilling brand, which doesn't seem to be around anymore. This is what it looked like, only with the Nature's Grilling logo. The rest of the artwork is identical:

https://www.bbqwf.com

If you want to try an affordable 100% lump, try GFS (Gordon Food Service) brand. I'm hooked on the stuff. 20# bag for $14. There are lots of big chunks and I've seen zero rocks and other crap in it. It is Royal Oak rebranded.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »
RO lump for smoking.  Lazzari  lump for most other  types of cooking. Lazzari is cheap at  a regular price of less than $14 for 40 lb.

JV

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:26 AM »
I found these 2 boxes of lump over the weekend. Any ideas as to age?? I've been rolling with Stubbs and Weber briquettes lately...only lump I've been using is Cowboy and only when I'm doing pizza's.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER