Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Curbside scrap kettle save  (Read 4948 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Curbside scrap kettle save
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
Well I lit a fire in it tonight just to burn off any residue from touching up the new metal with the hi temp bbq paint but decided to wait for next time to cook on it I wanted to let it fully detox I’m looking forward to making something on this tomorrow night perhaps I’ll grill something it needs it’s break in cook again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »
Nice repair! Lots more life left in that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 05:22:47 AM »
Dude, damn. 👏

Beef

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
Wow, just Wow.   thanks for the inspiration!

Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »
HOL.E.CRAP!
Amazing, where are those pictures of it cooking

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Awesome job. I have a B code WW that needs the leg sockets welded on. Not nearly as bad as yours but they are hanging by a thread. Very inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 02:18:38 AM »
Good job man, thought that thing was trash

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
Amazing restore!..that really looked like a goner...A+++

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Wow!  I would have passed on that as a basket case. Very nice restore! I wish I had those skills.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
That's simply incredible.  THAT needs to go on  Weber's social media.  Our fans are so crazy they do stuff like this!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 06:49:34 PM »
Maybe it's because I don't know how to weld, but that thing would have gone to the metal recycler if it were mine, and I would have gladly put the 30 cent revenue towards hookers 'n booze without a second thought.

I agree, that's a Rescue for the Ages! Front page material if you ask me.

"Oh, you cleaned up your grill and removed a bit of unsightly rust? Gee, that's nice. I re-created the freakin' metal for leg sockets and vents, beotch Now, how do you like your steak?"

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
Maybe it's because I don't know how to weld, but that thing would have gone to the metal recycler if it were mine, and I would have gladly put the 30 cent revenue towards hookers 'n booze without a second thought.

I agree, that's a Rescue for the Ages! Front page material if you ask me.

"Oh, you cleaned up your grill and removed a bit of unsightly rust? Gee, that's nice. I re-created the freakin' metal for leg sockets and vents, beotch Now, how do you like your steak?"

Lol this made me laugh my ass off [emoji23]

BBQ to live live to BBQ

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 05:16:12 AM »
Nice job in bringing her back to life. Well done!

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
@northwestkettle did you remove the rust before welding or did you just let the welder burn it off?  I have access to a MIG setup that I can use to weld mine, but wanted to understand how you prepped everything.  Thanks.

Whit

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
@northwestkettle did you remove the rust before welding or did you just let the welder burn it off?  I have access to a MIG setup that I can use to weld mine, but wanted to understand how you prepped everything.  Thanks.

Whit

I scraped off the lose rust and wire brushed it then cut out the worst of the rust back to solid enough metal to be able to weld in a patch for the largest spot the bowl vent actually was the perfect size to mark out my circle I just used a sharpie to outline the spot and then cut out the bad material with some offset tin snips then traced the same vent on new metal then because the bowl is rounded out I had to cup the metal patch slightly by setting it in a pice or round pipe slightly smaller that the patch and using a mallet forming the metal to approximately the same amount of curve then hold my patch up on the bowl and mark it to match the exact hole opening I cut I forgot to mention I cut the patch just slightly larger than my pattern so I could trim to fit once it was shaped then slowly stitch weld it in the the bowl you just have to weld a little bit at a time or you’ll burn through I use magnets to hold the patch even with the bowl to get it started otherwise it’s a real pain to keep it where u want to start welding one leg socket was still kind of hanging on so I was able to slowly fill in metal and get it solid once your done welding then I carefully grind the weld flat as I can without hitting the rest of the bowl and thinning it out then I sprayed a little high temp paint on the bare metal spots to help protect it from rust just remember go slow just basically little Tac welds bounce back and forth so spots can cool until it’s all stitched together

BBQ to live live to BBQ