Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Briquettes  (Read 2955 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Royal Oak Briquettes
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
Using some royal oak briquettes as I type this... not impressed. Small briquettes, ready quickly, but not lasting very long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Re: Royal Oak Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
They're good for hot and fast, might be OK in a snake built the right way....

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
I agree, I had issues using it in a snake because it burns so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
Never used anything but kbb in a snake. That's interesting. I would have thought it would be similar. I haven't used royal oak briquettes for awhile.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
I thought they lasted a good while. Can't compare to KBB as I've never used the stuff. Royal Oak Chef's Select is pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:07:39 PM by AZ Monsoon »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:38 AM »
@Mkrause I stopped using RO in 2013 when I was participating in a competition and could not get my mini smoker to get to temp.  I like KBB, Stubbs, and now Weber coal.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:19:30 AM »
@Mkrause I stopped using RO in 2013 when I was participating in a competition and could not get my mini smoker to get to temp.  I like KBB, Stubbs, and now Weber coal.
I prefer the weber as well but I've had a bag of RO sitting around and figured I'd use it. I don't think I'll be buying it again.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 03:25:11 AM »
JC hooked me up with this post a while back
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/262989/kingsford-briquettes-vs-royal-oak-ridge-briquettes-burn-temperature-time-and-ash-comparison

TLDR Version:

That's an interesting read, it seemed to me that the RO was smaller than KBB but i didn't compare side by side. Also seemed like they didn't last nearly as long but maybe I've just been spoiled by the weber.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »
i have had great success with royal oak.  i have used it with the snake and it works very well, burns a long time with steady temps.  i have used it in charcoal baskets for direct and indirect with success and now use it in the SnS+, also with no problem.  it seems to have less binders in it, which makes it less optimal for reuse, but mixed with 3/4 chimney of unused briquettes, it works well.  the price point is nice too.....less than stubbs and kbb. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Everything changes and it has been some time since I used a bag................but..........RO briquettes are at the bottom in my experience. The blue bag lump is a splendid product....sure there is a little bit of uncarbonized material........but the orange bag of briquettes are the opposite.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
@Mkrause

My experience that the RO doesn't burn as hot or long as KBB and takes forever to ash over. I use RO for some grilling purposes, but most of the time use Stubbs or KBB in my WSM or kettles.

I've heard RO lump is pretty good stuff for what that's worth.

Like others, I have some Weber charcoal that I have been meaning to try out too.

Stubbs should be going on sale again in a couple of weeks for Labor Day. I'll stock up then.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
I've tried Kingsford, Royal Oak, Maple Leaf, Basques, Weber... briquettes. Kingsford is the worst possible briquette one could buy.  They stink, they don't burn well. Honestly, before using Kingsford, I would give up BBQ.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
Before I found this board(and TVWBB), I, along with most of my friends and family, thought I was crazy for spending more for Stubbs because I could "taste" the difference....

That being said, I had some "local" Kingsford made from a native wood when I was in the Philippines for work and it had very strong hints of pecan, it was great.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
I've been using RO briquettes since the 7/4 sales. I prefer it to KBB, but it isn't anywhere as good as Stubbs. The smell and the taste is better than KBB IMO, but it does burn up quickly and it produces a lot of ash. Of the three, I'd place Stubbs at the top, then RO, then KBB. I haven't torn into the 400# of Weber briquettes I picked up at target, but I'm hoping those are every bit as good as Stubbs.