Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Those that have a ranch...worth it?  (Read 2648 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Those that have a ranch...worth it?
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
Those that have the ranch kettle, is it worth it?  How often are you using it?  Is it a once a year Grill or a weekend grill?  I have the opportunity to buy one for a decent price but just not sure I will use it enough to justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Those that have a ranch...worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
I don't have one, but my brother does. I'll say this... Yes it is worth it.  If you can get it for a good price, and you have the space to keep it, you will not regret it.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
The space is another issue. I don't know where it would put it.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »
Bedroom is always good!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »
Sounds like you should pass for now unless you can build a ranch shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
Probably so. Thanks for the input.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
Do you have a 26" kettle? If so do you run out of space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
I used mine four times in the first year I had it.  Great for parties...a real showstopper.  However I would never have paid full price for one.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »
Honestly, can't really answer your question without knowing how you cook and what kind of parties you have.    I mean, if you don't entertain and are only cooking for two, the RK would be serious overkill.  Still cool to have, but not very practical.    A small get together for me is somewhere between 10 and 20 ppl.  Probably have 6 or 8 or those a year.  A medium sized get together would be 20 to 40, probably have a half dozen of those as well.  Lastly, there are the larger parties of 50 or more.  Probably have 4 or 5 of those per year.

I generally offer a variety of proteins for any party, so the RK gets a full workout on small and medium sized parties, often times the Mini RK gets used as well.  For the large ones, I borrow back the RK that I gave to my brother and sil and cook on both of them.   For the really big parties, it's both RKs and the miniRK, with meats coming out of my smokers as well.

Having 2 RKs is a luxury, but I've only got about $600 invested in the both of them, so it was a no brainer each time.

So, what kind of parties/cookouts do you have ? How frequent ?  What do you cook for them ?   And lastly, how much is the RK ?  Cause if it's under $200, none of the above matters, you should get it.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
The space is another issue. I don't know where it would put it.

If you need help, I can help you clear out some of the other "crap" that you have.  ;)
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
I had two of them for a couple years and generally cooked for fund raisers. The cooking can be fun and rewarding, but its alot of work too, especially in a high demand environment.

Casual cooking is easy and takes extra fuel.

Either scenario your guests make you feel like they think your dick is 3 feet long because your the MAN at the GRILL.

Dont forget to get you an apron that says "Mr.Johnson"
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 09:30:01 PM »
Considering I've never paid more than $300 for an RK, then yes, they are worth it. The RK is great for when you are cooking enough of one food that would exceed one regular size grill. For example, I don't mind firing up three kettles, one for each meat or side(s) but it kinda sucks to fire up multiple grills for the same meat- especially when they need to be cooked indirectly. I cooked 10lbs of wings and a hundred turds a few weeks ago and it fit in the RK indirect just fine. The RK also makes for great full meal workflows. You can cook your meat indirectly for a while, then when it's done you can leave it to warm and throw a pan and sides over the fire and cook them all at once.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:35:24 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »
Considering I've never paid more than $300 for an RK, then yes, they are worth it. The RK is great for when you are cooking enough of one food that would exceed one regular size grill. For example, I don't mind firing up three kettles, one for each meat or side(s) but it kinda sucks to fire up multiple grills for the same meat- especially when they need to be cooked indirectly. I cooked 10lbs of wings and a hundred turds a few weeks ago and it fit in the RK indirect just fine.

No need to limit it to cooking one kind of meat/food.

[attachment deleted by admin]

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »
I would add one more thing. Nobody mentioned here the sentimental part of RK. For me (having one bought recently😀) it's not only how much meat will fit on the grate at once but first of all RK is extending my collection. So in my case (and IMHO in case of many of WKC members) it's simply a must-have symptom 😂

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:30:35 AM »
I use my RK 4-5 times a year. I love it I love the WOW factor when I open it up and a 20 brisket is sitting there.. as far as cooking
It's big it heavy and it holds the temps forever.. as long as you use the snake method, a 15 hour smoke is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!