Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What kind of aluminum?  (Read 2289 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
What kind of aluminum?
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
Would work best for an ash pan?  I am going to be making an ash pan for my new red ranger but am not sure what to use.  Another member used aluminum but wasn't sure on the gauge.  Would this work?  Or is it too thin?  Don't want hot ashes burning holes in it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-24-in-x-36-in-Plain-Aluminum-Sheet-in-Silver-57794/202091743
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

BillA from CA

• Smokey Joe
Re: What kind of aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:22:05 AM »
Mine seems to be around 0.030-0.034 inch. The key thing is to check the temper.  You want to make sure it is "O" rather than something like T4 or T6.  O means is it annealed and will be easy to work. A common alloy will be something like 2024-O with the first four digits designating the specific aluminum alloy.  FYI, check scrap metal vendors.  They often have steel, aluminum, and stainless steel sheet metal remnants at a fraction of the Home Depot price. 
If you are concerned about burning holes in it try putting a hot coal on a couple layers of aluminum foil and see what it does.  It will be a very conservative indicator because thickness goes a long way to burn-though resistance.  Al melts about 1215 deg F (some alloys are different) but you will lose most strength well below that temperature.  If you opt for the very thin aluminum you could always line it with heavy duty Al foil to improve burnthrough resistance and keep it looking nice.
Also keep in mind that  if you plan to hammer it into the dish-shape it will get a little thinner during forming. Also, very thin aluminum will distort more easily during later handling.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:46:35 AM by BillA from CA »
Still searching for a food that does NOT taste better when grilled or smoked

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »
Maybe the brains behind the replacement twist on ash pans can help.

@Bertl - What did you use for those pans?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:07:46 AM by Neil_VT00 »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »
I've made one with aluminum trim coil. Same stuff used on houses for fascia and trim. A little thin but works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:53 AM »
Mine seems to be around 0.030-0.034 inch. The key thing is to check the temper.  You want to make sure it is "O" rather than something like T4 or T6.  O means is it annealed and will be easy to work. A common alloy will be something like 2024-O with the first four digits designating the specific aluminum alloy.  FYI, check scrap metal vendors.  They often have steel, aluminum, and stainless steel sheet metal remnants at a fraction of the Home Depot price. 
If you are concerned about burning holes in it try putting a hot coal on a couple layers of aluminum foil and see what it does.  It will be a very conservative indicator because thickness goes a long way to burn-though resistance.  Al melts about 1215 deg F (some alloys are different) but you will lose most strength well below that temperature.  If you opt for the very thin aluminum you could always line it with heavy duty Al foil to improve burnthrough resistance and keep it looking nice.
Also keep in mind that  if you plan to hammer it into the dish-shape it will get a little thinner during forming. Also, very thin aluminum will distort more easily during later handling.

Awesome thanks for the advice!  This really helps big time!
Maybe the brains behind the replacement trist on ash pans can help.

@Bertl - What did you use for those pans?

Good call!  Don't know why I didn't think to ask him!
I've made one with aluminum trim coil. Same stuff used on houses for fascia and trim. A little thin but works just fine

Thanks!

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

mfridman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
What about an aluminum pizza pan?  Just need to figure out the size.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »
The original ashpan is not round:

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
What kind of aluminum?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
What about an aluminum pizza pan?  Just need to figure out the size.

Good thinking, but not the right shape!

The original ashpan is not round:

Yep!  @glrasmussen was kind enough to send me some pictures of his restoration and has a template.  He said he'd be sending me dimensions.  Once I get them, I will be trying to take this on myself!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:33:48 PM by Lowbrass »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »

Exactly what I used. As you see in the template, I went over size and bent completely over. It made it more rigid and wasn't left a sharp edge.
@Lowbrass I sent you some pictures this morning.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:20:54 AM »
Looking forward to seeing another Ranger restore!
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow