Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bought my first gasser, why?  (Read 1865 times)

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Bought my first gasser, why?
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
Just bought my first gasser. It's a natural gas Genesis Special Edition in good condition I just picked up for $190.  II have a gas line already setup at my house. My wife is having issues, or maybe they're my issues, with the 8 BBQs I have, and she would like me to thin the herd.  Not sure if this gasser is worth the fight because I'm still looking for an outrider Jumbo Joe and a red head.  Was wondering how often you charcoal guys use gas and what for and is it worth keeping this gasser. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bought my first gasser, why?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
outdoor griddle , reheater . side burner/charcoal lighter .

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

outdoor griddle , reheater . side burner/charcoal lighter .

As a charcoal starter, how would you light the Chimney on this?  Do you know if you can put it on the lit side burner to get the charcoal going without any lighter cubes, etc.?

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:56:03 AM »
Just started but if it takes <30min to cook it goes on the Genesis. >30min it goes on the coals.

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:24 AM »
@foshizzle I use my Summit NG side burner to start chimneys all the time. Works great.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:23:22 AM »
Don't know what happened to my last response. I typically use the gas grill if it takes less than 30 min. Things like steaks and burgers. Pizza is also excellent on a gas grill. Things that take longer than 30min to cook will go on the coals.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:32:47 AM »

@foshizzle I use my Summit NG side burner to start chimneys all the time. Works great.
That alone may make it worth it especially when doing a slower cook when preloading the grill with unlit coals. Thanks Jordan.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Bought my first gasser, why?
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »
Don't know what happened to my last response. I typically use the gas grill if it takes less than 30 min. Things like steaks and burgers. Pizza is also excellent on a gas grill. Things that take longer than 30min to cook will go on the coals.

Do you find you lose flavor when using gas on the burgers or steaks over using charcoal even for a shorter cook?  Never really tested it because I didn't have a gas grill but just thought using charcoal even for shorter cooks would give more flavor to the food.

Troy1620

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
I find my gasser gets regular use at  my house. Perfect for firing up brats, hamburgers and hot dogs on weekdays. I love the upper rack of my genesis for potatoes. i brown each side then put it on the rack and start cooking the meat. The potatoes have a nice smokey flavor from the meat being cooked below it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
I'm not a gasser, so no help here. Fine looking piece tho... and a good price!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:21:31 PM »

Do you find you lose flavor when using gas on the burgers or steaks over using charcoal even for a shorter cook?  Never really tested it because I didn't have a gas grill but just thought using charcoal even for shorter cooks would give more flavor to the food.

Yes and no. They just taste different but still quite good.  Might get me kicked out of here but I think the steaks might be better on the genesis than on charcoals. The ability to dial up a known and consistent heat is nice and the sear station (which I think you have) works very well. Plus after getting home from work on a wednesday, set up and take down are a heck of a lot easier.  Take it with a grain of salt I am far from a kettle expert so your experiences may vary.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
Besides the deal you got on it shouldn't be passed up.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
In some ways I may be a gas guy who uses charcoal.  I live in coastal NC and a common type of home here is a three story "up-side down" floor plan where the kitchen and living area is on the third floor.  I have a Genesis Silver B on the deck outside on the third floor deck.  It's very convenient as it's right off the kitchen.  When I use charcoal it's up and down three flights of steps what feels like dozens of times while you're cooking something. There is no way I use a charcoal grill on a third floor wooden deck or any deck for that matter.  I find it useful for quick things such as burgers, pork chops, fish etc.  I have a griddle for it as well as a rotisserie.  Rotisserie chicken is good even when done over gas.  The griddle, once hot, acts like a flat top.  I'll fry bacon in a cast iron skillet to keep the house from smelling like bacon for hours afterward.  I even have a Weber smoker box, which to tell you the truth, doesn't work well. I have a C&B Performer for pulled pork and I have a rotisserie for it I also use for putting a little smoke on chicken or turkey.  I have another redhead kettle I use only for cold smoking cheese.

I'd keep it and thin some of the eight other grills...

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
I use my gasser during the week because I just want to get dinner on the table. I cook - a lot and from scratch - and during the week I'd like to get it cooked and served quickly. To my way of thinking it is a tool, just as my pressure cooker and slow cooker are tools and my oven is a tool. In cooler weather I use my oven a lot, and set things up for timed bake to start before I get home or at least have the preheat done.

On the weekend, when I have more time, I like to light the coals   But during the week I'm just too busy most nights.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
When you come home one day and decide that you want to take a steak out of the fridge and be eating in 20 mins, you'll see the need for a gasser.