Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle hunting  (Read 2092 times)

Madpap

• WKC Brave
Kettle hunting
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »
I travel a lot for work and in the evening I like to troll neighborhoods for the ever elusive colored kettle. I see plenty of black kettles but never any other colors. Is there a certain neighborhood class that I need to search or pretty much any?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Kettle hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
Weber kettles are pretty democratic so you'll see them in both wealthy and non-wealthy neighborhoods. However, I would say that you're better off going to a neighborhood with older houses to increase your chances of seeing and older kettle. Good luck.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »
Sounds fargin craazy too me...cruising the hood for a kettle fix.

So ya like pbe said he'd hit the older middle class part of town
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
It's a hobby that's eating me up. I wish I had started this 30 years ago! Gotta get that fix!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
It's a hobby that's eating me up. I wish I had started this 30 years ago! Gotta get that fix!

x2 except I would have been 6 months old 30 years ago. but maybe 8 years ago when I moved out of the house

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Trailer parks and flag lots are where I have stumbled onto most of the colored kettles I have picked up.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Retirement communities.  Tough with HOAs they don't allow anything out front.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »
I agree with pbe gummi bear...

There really is no one great target area, but older homes (say 1950's-1970's tracts) are generally a better bet for finding something on a curb. Trailer parks are a good option too. However, many times now people are posting a free ad on CL...and within an hour, kettles are gone.

Also, check college towns on "move-out" day. My brother finds everything (bikes, ice chests, etc.), as he lives a few blocks away from the university. You may not find a Glen Blue this way, but you might get a sweet little 18" or SJ.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
Don't all y'all live where there are backyards? Can't see too much from the road around here!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »
Don't all y'all live where there are backyards? Can't see too much from the road around here!

Having lived in rural New Jersey, I can say unlike the East Coast, out here most back yards are fenced off...curbs are a better bet.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »

In the midwest, about 50% of backyards are visible from at least one nearby street.

@Craig  and I cruisin through chicago was full-time rubbernecking. Spotted 4 or 5 kettles on the way to the meetup

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
@Craig  and I cruisin through chicago was full-time rubbernecking. Spotted 4 or 5 kettles on the way to the meetup

Bloody cool.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"