Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: General coal question  (Read 913 times)

steph746

• Smokey Joe
General coal question
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
I just picked up a weber kettle and have a general question about how to lay out the coals. I'm not advanced enough to do indirect cooking, so could you please advise on how I should layout the coals after I dump them from the chimney. Should they be spread out across the bottom fully (about one coal briquette in height) or should I leave a higher pile somewhere and thus create a "hotspot"?

Also related to this, it seems that it take the coals in the chimney about 20-25 minutes to all burn and get some ash on them. I'm sure by then that the coals at the bottom of the chimney are burning and ready to go. I might even be wasting their heat while waiting for all the coals in the chimney to get ashy. Should I wait until they are all ashy or ok to dump them out when some coal briquettes are still black?

Thanks...

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: General coal question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
Try using coal baskets. You can move them around and arrange your setup to however you decide to cook.
Waiting until the top layers of coals are completely ashes over isn't needed. You're right that the bottom layer will be passed their peek by that point. I normally wait until the smoke stops rolling, fire is coming through the top layer and they have just begun to ash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »
When I do burgers I usually spread out the coals along the bottom of the grill. Otherwise I bank them on one side. Obviously the side without the coals is now your cool side. On something like chicken, you just cook the chicken on the cool side for the entire cook (indirect cooking) and then you can place it over the coals at the end if you want some more color / crisp up the skin.

It's fine to dump them before they're all ashed over. I just dump them in a pile on one side of grill, put the grate on and go about getting my food ready to go. After a few minutes you can put the lid on. Don't dump them way too early though.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:44:20 AM by AZ Monsoon »

armpit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »
I'm not advanced enough to do indirect cooking,

FWIW, in direct cooking is no more difficult than direct cooking.  In fact it is probably easier.  Trust the advice you get here from people...they are Weber Kettle specific recipes and processes....Also look at recipes from the Weber.com site.  After a few cooks you will understand the language & the process, and start cooking like a pro.  Cook often, and enjoy the successes and the failures.  There is no substitute for experience and you will never have enough experience to stop learning.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;