Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal Mods  (Read 15999 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: Summit Charcoal Mods
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 06:56:29 PM »
Just ordered my summit yesterday and this thread magically starts the same day [emoji848]

Very interesting [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:27 AM »
The Summit is a very nice grill but it is out of my league for the time being.  I remember spending $600 on my gasser 13 years ago and I thought that was a lot of money back then and still do. 

Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:29 AM »
I've added an extra tool rack and Performer timer. Converted to full size propane tank and CI grates.

Is there i thread about whatever you're cooking there? I'm drooling over here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:26 AM »
@JordanW   We are going to need a recipe for those pops!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 03:42:27 AM »
Is it bad I've only had mine for 36 hours and I've already got the mod itch???

I am
Thinking I need to come up with some tool storage/organization options as this is a common problem for me. Every time I cook my patio looks like a tornado hit Sanford and son.

The Summit has a ton of storage space, I will have to do some measurements.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 05:14:47 AM »
Thanks Jordan!

shizogriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
Nobody bothers the gas ignition when putting charcoal on the highest level?  If I do, I use a chimney starter.  A mod would be better... ;-)  Another thing that worries me are the scratched surface where the charcoal bin is placed.  I am looking for some king of foil to protect it from getting scratched.

@JordanW: where did you buy your digital performer timer?  Or did you already have it before buying the SCG?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »

Nobody bothers the gas ignition when putting charcoal on the highest level?  If I do, I use a chimney starter.  A mod would be better... ;-)  Another thing that worries me are the scratched surface where the charcoal bin is placed.  I am looking for some king of foil to protect it from getting scratched.

@JordanW: where did you buy your digital performer timer?  Or did you already have it before buying the SCG?

The upper position for using gas assist does lose some effectiveness IMO. One solution I saw was some people getting a second coal grate and keeping one in the low position at all times and using the higher one as needed. Using this you would light your coals on the lower grate and once lit, place the higher grate in place and dump coals. YMMV.
Personally if Im cooking “up top” I’m using lump in the baskets which lights a bit quicker so I will use the GA burner and a stick torch:

The combo has lump going in a few minutes. I even use a fan to stoke the coals if I’m doing a quick week night cook after work.

As for the bin scratches. Grab some felt furniture pads that prevent floor scratches. That should help if it’s an issue for you.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
 @shizogriller I had one extra from a Performer that I used to own.

Also, I very RARELY use the upper charcoal grate position... The gas assist really doesn't work when you do. IMO

shizogriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »
@CharliefromLI yesterday evening I searched online for a solution for the bin scratches.  I found that scratchproof wrapping foil could be the solution to get rid of the scratches.  It is normally used to wrap cars or car parts.  It is weather proof and can be found in different colours (matte black, glossy black, red, ...).  It must be applied using a heat gun and can be removed without leaving glue marks.  I will probably order some and try it out.  If I do so, I will keep this topic informed about my progress. 

@JordanW currently I am using a red Thermoworks Timestick that currently suits my needs, it is a perfect device apart from the fact that the key presses do not always work flawlessly.  I probably won't by the weber timer, but nevertheless - for those interested - I found the digital performer timer (article ref 65055) and its housing (article ref. 85682) online at ereplacementparts.com. 

Btw, the current mods on my SCGC are:
- a 2nd weber style tool holder
- the black grill handle light (type 7516, similar to the grey ones on my s670)
- red wheel covers

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »
Oh know we need to see the red wheel covers @shizogriller

shizogriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 05:51:11 AM »
see below...  I'm very happy with my pimped rims...  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »
Swanky!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

shizogriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 06:48:39 AM »
for those interested: the wheel inserts are a part of the newer 47cm / 18.5" kettle plus they have released here in Europe (part nb 66789 - wheel kit insert, 8", red).  I do not know whether this model is also being sold in the US.  It is a simple matter of plug-and-play to install these...  I ordered the 'rims' via Weber itself and had to wait almost 3 months to receive them.  So probably these are being produced in the US.  IMO it definitely was worth the 'upgrade'!